Surface Pro Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Steve S, Nov 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Intel is all over the page on Haswell. They are claiming a 70% improvement in power consumption between Ivy Bridge and Haswell. Haswell 2 chip to have significantly better battery life Yet, its new single chip Y series (7W TDP) is said to approach 50% power reduction. 1-chip Haswell aims at 50 percent lower average power. Seems like Classic Intel - say anything and give them what you can.

In any event, I don't really expect Haswell ULVs until Q4 and implimentation even later. That's another year. Two more hours? Probably close to that. A battery in the touch cover will give us that.

2. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I agree that it's going to be a while before Haswell is in tablets. However, one of the big things with Haswell is that there are new power states. With s0i1 you can be actively using the device... reading an already loaded page, for example... and the system will still be in standby, other than the screen. It would then only take 1ms to wake from that state when needed. I wouldn't be completely shocked to see more like 8 hours (of real-world, day-to-day use, that is) in an eventual Surface Pro 2, whereas I max out at 4 1/2 to 5 on my Surface Pro right now.

In the meantime though, I'm very happy with the current iteration. I'll always want faster, lighter, and more battery life, but this is already a nearly perfect device for me as it is now.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

EXACTLY how I feel. I'm betting summer 2014 will be the real power, size, storage sweet spot, and by then I'll have nearly 18 months of enjoyment and experience beta testing the Surface Pro for Microsoft. SWEET!

4. Malberttoo

Malberttoo Pen Pal - Newbie

I agree with you dstrauss 100%. As exciting as Haswell sounds, I do not believe we will see them full implemented for some time yet.

5. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I don't know how I missed this, but apparently there IS a Metro port of the old "Origami Experience" Sudoku app that allows inking (though you have to manually enable inking from the settings charm). It doesn't recognize numbers quite as well as the original, as you need to write each number in a single pen stroke (I have to make an exaggerated u for 4, for example), but it works pretty well. Still wish Ink Crossword would work though (that one just instantly crashes on Windows 8).

http://apps.microsoft.com/windows/en-us/app/sudoku-classic/c41fec40-7bf8-4a8c-a0fa-53ecd4563596/

Edit: doesn't seem to have eraser support either.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  6. TheGuac

TheGuac Scribbler - Standard Member

I plan to do the same thing this weekend. I ended up getting a used HP 2760p with sheet battery, dock, and SSD drive for $550. That'll hold me over until 2nd generation devices come out. I had the 2710p and it was awesome as a tablet but it's a little too slow nowadays. The sheet battery should give me about 9 hours of use at the expense of a heavy machine. That's OK i suppose for a full mobile processor...

7. brokenlax

brokenlax Pen Pal - Newbie

I like to use my tablet when I'm lying down on my bed.

But I need to know how secure the charging connector is. Will it disconnect when I move slightly? How secure is it? Is it secure as the old apple 30 something pin connectors?

8. bathala

bathala Pen Pal - Newbie

it's not as secure as 30 pin since its magnet. It's good when some accidentally trip on the wire so it won't drag ur tablet.

I do use it on bed while lying down. I have a bed mount

9. JimB

JimB Scribbler - Standard Member

I have to laugh at these bed mounts, we are getting to the point were we don't need to get out of bed and do everything lying down! Get up and take your surface outside and enjoy the sunshine!

10. Mhotep

Mhotep Scribbler - Standard Member

I was about to post.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.