Surface Pro Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Steve S, Nov 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

The default calibration on my TM2 is much better too.

I'm curious about that too. Sometimes I unplug my TM2 at 80% because I know I won't be near the device at 90%.

2. DoctorBunsenHoneydew

DoctorBunsenHoneydew Scribbler - Standard Member

According to a Wacom rep I spoke to, the reason why pen accuracy sucks around the edges of most screens is because the digitizer needs to triangulate between three points around the pen to get its location.

If you draw near the very bottom of the screen for example, then there's no reliable "bottom" point to calibrate because you've hit near the bottom of the digitizer panel.

This is an extra bad problem on windows 8, where you need to reliably hit corners to access the UI.

One solution is to make an oversized digitizer panel in relation to the screen. That usually doesn't happen for cost or size reasons I assume.

Windows calibration solves this in software by accelerating the pen cursor towards the edge of the screen, but only on the last half inch or so of the screen borders. That's why it has you calibrate four points in each corner... It's figuring out exactly how much to tweak that acceleration.

Te end result should be that pen accuracy is perfectly accurate except on the very edges of the screen, where the cursor will seem to creep faster towards the edge than your pen does.

3. plebianJay

plebianJay animation monkey

When I calibrate, it gets more accurate closer to the edges, but then the whole center of the screen is off to varying degrees. There should be more calibration points so that it doesn't throw the center off so much.
    Also , the pen that came with my surface also has a fairly sizable offset, calibrated or not. The only pen that works well is my wacom bamboo feel.

The digitizer accuracy of my note10.1 blows the surface out of the water. I'm thinking I might end up returning it, due to that, and the lack of any wintab drivers. It's too bad, because I really like it otherwise.

4. MaDequipment

MaDequipment Pen Pal - Newbie

To all early adopters!

Since today is Monday, please report back with your findings about how your Surface fares throughout a work/school day. I would really appreciate knowing about all the quirks that the Surface Pro has that don't get covered in the online reviews. A general take on the device would also be good - like do you see it replacing your tablet and laptop?

5. hp79

hp79 Scribbler - Standard Member

I noticed the unit gets hot after watching flash videos for a while, but the CPU reading is only 60C or so. Since the battery is on the bottom, I think it won't have much negative effects on the battery life when it is on the kick stand.

About the battery life, I wish MS had some kind of a way to limit charge threshold and max charge so that users can set it to something like 70%-90%. That's how I set it on my Thinkpad x230t. For thinkpad x230t, it can be done with a registery add on in Windows 8, or PowerManager in Window 7, but that probably works because they have a Power Management driver.

For now, while trying to avoid going to very low levels battery (10%), I think it's just best to use it without worrying too much about how you are going to extend the battery life.

6. DallasDave

DallasDave Pen Pal - Newbie

Early adopter report: Got mine at MS kiosk in Frisco (Dallas) on Saturday. Huge crowd and they sold out of 128s within an hour or so. Looked to me like they were allocated 100 or so and just sold out. Wasn't until I read some pundit blogs that I found out it was all due to the evil machinations of Microsoft. Was so depressed over the sad state of technical journalism in this country (cripes, do any of them do their own research, do any of them have a use case that includes more than typing and surfing, and can any of them reason logically and write a fricking unbiased "review"? \rant) that I immediately headed to the pub. You'll be glad to know that the Surface Pro is a superb pubbing device, and having the spill-resistant typepad is a comfort. I had no problems with weight, possibly due to a long history of doing 20-oz curls. Got about 3.5 hours with battery starting at 80% down to 25%. Thanks to better than expected wifi in the pub got office 365 activated, synced with the 1000+ emails in my Google account, loaded a lot of other software, and watched a full Netflix movie. Oh, yeah, and downloaded and played with that great c*cktail app.

Oh, and what's the big deal with Win8? I've never used it before and it took about 10 minutes to find the desktop button, download Start8, do some setup and get fully productive. My God, the handwringing I've seen about this.

Work? Oh, yeah. I'm a fiend for taking notes as I work and fill numerous notebooks and pads. Which are difficult or impossible to find later. Looks like the SP with OneNote is going to pay for itself with this one app. Even my crappy handwriting gets accurately converted to text, is searchable, and is automatically cloud synced. I have to keep a separate work notebook, but my notes are always available thanks to skydrive. The pen feels a little cheesy, though. Do the Wacoms have more mass and a better feel?

Going to head back to the pub tonight--have to download a 13M Steam game and I'm close to my data cap at home :)

7. Tpeterson

Tpeterson Pen Pal - Newbie

I tend to agree with this thinking. In my simplistic logic, if you never charge above 90%, then, assuming 5 hours of maximum battery life, you're always leaving 30 minutes of usage on the table. This may not matter to those that don't need maximum daily battery usage, but for those that do, it seems that you're trading battery minutes you could have used today for minutes you might get to use in the future, assuming you are actually saving significant battery. I guess it's a question to what degree and how quickly a battery degrades by continually charging to 100%.

8. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Short answer: no. Long Answer: NO.

RANT ON

Being the ultimate conspiracy theorist, it is a lot more sinister than that. Most are on a mission from "Gahd" (or was that "Jobs") to destroy and discredit anything not Apple. The comparisons are always one-sided, jaded, and flat out false. They make up facts as they go, and make insane complaints - "Geez, it's not an ultrabook and its not a tablet, it BOTH. EWWWWW." They have the attention span and intellect of a gnat, and drool all over a 128GB iPad with 97% empty storage space WITHOUT even considering that it is running a smartphone operating system. When they have a Core i5 iPad with OSX, touch, and pen input, then I'll read their drivel a second time.

RANT OFF (for now)

9. MaDequipment

MaDequipment Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks! And entertaining to boot.

10. ghost74

ghost74 Scribbler - Standard Member

In anticipation of purchasing a W8 tablet in my near future I installed W8 on my home machine a while ago to learn and test drive. After spending time with W8 on mouse/keyboard machine and then on the Surface.

W8 w/ Touch Interface = AWESOME!!!

W8 w/ traditional KB & Mouse = Sucks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.