Surface Pro Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Steve S, Nov 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pagugu

pagugu Pen Pal - Newbie

You guys both did well! The complete package w/keyboard was a definite $299 (touch) or $309 (type) price tag when we went today. No microsd or xbox music included either. Congratulations, guys!

2. zbrush

zbrush Pen Pal - Newbie

Wow ! Why are they launching incomplete products ??
    The Wacom digitizer was the only reason i wanted this tablet !

3. TheGuac

TheGuac Scribbler - Standard Member

You can use this on your lap just fine. The keyboard is fairly sturdy and the kick stand doesn't tumble too easily. The only thing is the actual typing space is fairly small so you won't have as much room as say a 13 inch laptop. That can pose problems when you are typing for long periods of time on your lap. I've been using it for about 10 min on my lap and have about 3.5 hours left...not great. I am on Power Save mode with brightness cut down to 40%. Otherwise, it has been awesome so far!

Oh now up to 4.5 hours...who knows...actual usage is probably a better indicator haha.

Update: After 25 minutes, I'm down to 90% with a mix of browsing and youtube videos. That would theoretically yield 250 minutes of runtime on a charge, which is about 4 hours. Not that impressed but we will see.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  4. thetruth1983

thetruth1983 Scribbler - Standard Member

We're too busy playing with it lol. Seriously, I won't be able to open my Pro until later tonight when I'm at work. I'm not a painter and my sole use of inking is in Onenote. I will post my impressions later on.

Also, I'm surprised to hear about all the Wacom problems since none of this was mentioned in the 10,000+ reviews that were released this past week.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  5. DoctorBunsenHoneydew

DoctorBunsenHoneydew Scribbler - Standard Member

Battery is what you'd expect. 3 to 6 hours, like any ultra book.

Inking is fantastic in one note and sketchbook pro. The cursor offset is the best of anything I've used period. In short, the hardware is tops.

Because of craphole drivers though, photoshop, painter and sai are unusable.

6. Jcase

Jcase Pen Pal - Newbie

Lack of pressure sensitivity in Photoshop, et al is... I WISH it were unbelievable. AAAAAHG. I just bought two 128s with the intention of selling one. I may end up just taking them both back. This is really sad.

7. TheGuac

TheGuac Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm sure this will be corrected. This is Microsoft, not some third party manufacturer who doesn't care once the item is sold. They will stand behind their products. That's one of the reasons we bought Microsoft, right?

8. thetruth1983

thetruth1983 Scribbler - Standard Member

Now it makes sense that microsoft never announced which digitizer was in it. If they would have said it was wacom, people would have expected pen sensitivity in all of those apps. I'm hoping a update comes but I wouldn't hold my breath either since they had more than enough time to implement it.

9. DoctorBunsenHoneydew

DoctorBunsenHoneydew Scribbler - Standard Member

Cs6 is even worse. Clicking on the interface with the pen literally freezes the whole UI. I get the impression I am the first person to try this ever.

10. oscarlucy

oscarlucy Scribbler - Standard Member

Arrived at my local MS Store an hour before launch - there were 20 of us total, at 9 AM....

30 minutes later, that number tripled, and right around 10 o'clock there were easily over 120+ people lined up.

10 minutes before the store opened, they called all reservation pass holders - and in that line of 120+ people, only 7 of us had passes. I was the 3rd person to line up in the reservation line, and by 10:20, I had my 128GB Surface Pro, a black Incipio sleeve case, and Microsoft complete for $99! They even threw in a bonus code for 3GB of SkyDrive storage, so i've got 30 GB now.

Pictures to come later...took pics from unboxing, etc., but wayyyy too busy playing with and loving my 128GB SP!!!!

Congrats to those who came away with one today....and best of luck to those still waiting to get their hands on one (especially the 128 GB model). The wait is (was) definitely worth it! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.