Surface Pro discharging when plugged in

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by meow9th, Mar 31, 2013.

1. meow9th

meow9th Scribbler - Standard Member

After a couple of days not using my Pro, I turned it on to discover it at 27% battery. It had been plugged in the entire time I wasn't using it. Anybody else experience something similar or have ideas as to what's going on?

2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Anybody else experience something similar...>>

meow: Did you notice if the teeny-tiny white LED on the end of the DC connector was illuminated? I've found that you can attach the DC connector without fully completing all the connections; the only way to tell for sure is to see that the white LED illuminates...

3. meow9th

That's entirely possible, but I'm still suspicious. I do have a habit of checking the LED at the end of the night, but of course, I might've forgotten that one occasion. Also, I don't think it was at or near 27% the last time I used it. I think it was at or near 100%. And have it on a sleep -> hibernate setting, so it shouldn't have gone from 100% to 27% without any use.

Well, I'll try to be more conscientious in the future and report if it happens again.

4. Steve S

<<...it shouldn't have gone from 100% to 27% without any use...>>

...Certainly don't disagree.

One more step that you can take: Open the Task Manager, Applications tab. Once the list populates, survey the CPU usage (most demanding app will be highlighted in a darker gold-ish color). Re-zero the counters (upper left corner), and then go about your business for a few days. Check the Applications tab periodically. If anything is going on, it will be readily apparent.

I had a problem with a time tile that I corrected by migrating to a different time time app that ran much more economically...

5. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

I've found the sleep->hibernate option to be fairly unreliable. If it failed to hibernate and was in sleep for a couple days, 27% is about right. I think my battery test of sleep had just over 2 days of projected battery life.

6. Steve S

<<...have it on a sleep -> hibernate setting...>>

...That reminds me... Do you have Hibernate enabled? If memory serves, Microsoft caught so much flak for the "large" installed software footprint that the Pro shipped with Hibernate disabled by default to free up the 4 GB of storage. I had to explicitly enable Hibernate on my Pro...

7. meow9th

<rant>Well, as there are no status indicators, it's impossible to tell whether the machine is on, sleeping or off. Argh.</rant>

Yes, indeed I do. I also remember having to explicitly enable it.

Also, nothing suspicious in Task Manager so far.

Probably it was a figment of my imagination. And if it wasn't, as long as it happens only once in a blue moon, I'll be able to deal (go go redundancy).

8. jhoff80

jhoff80 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yeah, I don't know why they didn't put a subtle LED right behind the windows capacitive button as the indicator.

9. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

The real answer is a BETTER CONNECTOR. That thing should jump from your hand to a full connection just like the MagSafe (burn my tongue for saying that, but it is true). My daughter has an older 13" MacBook that connects instantly and every time. This thing is hit or miss and you have to play with it constantly to get a solid connection. An old style barrel connector would be more reliable.

10. Steve S

<<...This thing is hit or miss and you have to play with it constantly to get a solid connection...>>

d: I have developed a technique that you might find helpful:

<> Hold the connector at an angle to the side of the Pro so that one long edge (or the other) of the silver magnetic portion is aligned with, and resting on, its corresponding side of the Pro's slot.

<> Then rotate the connector so that the silver portion rotates into the slot and the connector seats normally.

I've been using this approach for a while and it seems to work. However, I always wait to see the white LED light up...!