Surface Pro 8 - Speculation and Rumors

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Jul 9, 2020.

1. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Answer = Maroo case.
    [​IMG]

darkmagistric likes this.
  2. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

These new chips are more power level scalable so they can run them at as little as 5 watts apparently. Could give them some performance headroom though likely thermally limited

Plus it's a whole range of chips though he cherry picked the i7 to discusss

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
  3. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

Renoir already uses less power and is significantly faster than Ice Lake. Tiger Lake, while fixing the power issue, is behind in the performance arena by a good margin. Note this benchmark where Renoir completes this benchmark task in far less time while consuming less energy than either Intel processor.

upload_2020-9-21_16-47-38.png

Source:
    https://www.anandtech.com/show/16084/intel-tiger-lake-review-deep-dive-core-11th-gen/7

My hope is the Van Gogh APU, which scales down to 7.5W, turns out to be a custom CPU for the Surface line. The leaked intel already revealed it is a custom designed CPU for a specific vendor. But who? What is most telling about Van Gogh is it has the same CPU and GPU (albeit with less GPU compute units) architecture as the Xbox Series X. Connecting the dots based on the fact that AMD already offers a custom SKU for the Surface Laptop and that this APU is suspiciously a cut down next-gen Xbox process, you would really think this is going into a Microsoft product of some sort. How is it better? Besides the obvious of featuring the "cool kids" technology of hardware-based ray tracing, the second generation Navi GPU offers increased memory bandwidth compression. That means roughly speaking that when given the same speed memory, it can pump out far greater performance when memory constrained because it can squeeze far more graphics data across the same memory pipeline. The other huge win is second generation Navi has the significantly higher efficiency. It is double the performance per watt in fact, than the current Vega APUs. I am really hoping Panos is leveraging his close partnership with AMD to make super charged Surfaces and really pushes the sales pitch of them featuring their exclusive industry-leading Xbox Series architecture.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
    Steve S and Marty like this.
  4. desertlap

5. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

6. desertlap

7. sonichedgehog360

With so many lost opportunities, I am starting to think the Surface Pro is going to get axed at this point. And I am not even speaking about the AMD processor situation since that is a matter for debate. Yet again, Microsoft predictably went the quick, cheap, and easy route and they recycled the same old Surface Pro 4 chassis. We get it: Microsoft also wants to cater to their corporate clients who want stability in compatible accessories, so their cases and docking stations still fit with each refresh. But no Thunderbolt, no user serviceable SSD, no small bezels, and no trim physique in 2021 is a bad look. These have become the industry standard for almost five years now. Toy OS notwithstanding, iPad Pro makes this look like a joke attempt, Panos Panay. If Surface Pro is supposed to be a halo product, I guess it has lost grace and become a fallen angel. That, or Microsoft is purposely keeping this the ugly model so they can eventually kill it off and force customers to buy their Pro X for the better features (except the processor).

Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
  8. sonichedgehog360

45158D92-EAAB-463C-93DF-B0E8074D69D4.jpeg

I took a closer work, and I can see here that the displayed Windows install date on the device screen indicates that this engineering prototype dates back to April 12, 2020 (4/12/2020) at the latest, and possibly earlier if it was reimaged several times before falling into the hands of this presumed prototype tester who has opted to resell it. There is a chance that Microsoft had been only testing the processor hardware at this point to get a feel for the thermal and electrical characteristics which is quite possible since Tiger Lake-U is a drop-in replacement to Ice Lake-U with the same BGA layout. Just throwing that out there as a possibility.

9. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

That tester is you, isn't it...? BTW would this be the first Surface Pro with 32GB RAM?

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  10. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

The fact that Microsoft didn’t end up releasing that spec refresh only Pro 8...does give hope that the actual release might be more substantial. If they wait till March/June to seriously release yet another bottom of the barrel refresh, I will again sit out. It’s really sad how boring and predictable the surface line has become at this point,

sonichedgehog360 likes this.