Surface Pro 8 - Speculation and Rumors

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Jul 9, 2020.

1. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Yeah, but there's clickbait, and then there's delusional. Jason Ward (had to look up the name because it was driving me crazy) was definitely the latter. This was the guy who 5 years ago was saying Windows on mobile wasn't dead. And then 4 years ago was saying the death of Windows 10 Mobile was a good thing for Windows on mobile. And so on and so forth.

As someone who was on their sister site Treocentral for forever, then Precentral, and then tried to stick with Windowscentral, I eventually got so frustrated between Dan and Jason at opposite ends that I had to give up on the nonsense.

For what it's worth though, I don't necessarily think it's a case at The Verge of bias towards Apple, so much as a bias towards their very niche use cases which they seem to think are universal towards everyone else.

2. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I could be wrong with this, but if Microsoft is fully using their own chips, technically they should have more control over keeping things from leaking. like with traditional Intel/Qualcom/Snagdragons chips, the fact they are working with other companies leaves alot more places for things to leak among the component/company chain. But with their own silicon, it could be a very tight ship.

3. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Possibly, but they'd still be going to Samsung, TSMC, Intel, Qualcomm, GlobalFoundries, etc. for fabrication. (The Hololens chip for example is made by TSMC). I find it hard to believe there wouldn't be at least one leak. But it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong.

4. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

darkmagistric and nnthemperor like this.
  5. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

So the Verge this morning is out with their take on the new Surface devices, and it may be the closest to reality I've seen so far.

Microsoft gets ready to launch the Surface Pro 8 I’ve been waiting years for - The Verge

Essentially they are taking more of a middle ground approach in not embracing the more out there rumors and instead what is practical to deliver IMHO.

So a bigger display on the same general form factor lines up, as well as being slightly thinner, but not Pro X level thin.

Same with new type covers with a charging holding slot for the Slim Pen, which MS has told us before is their future pen tech.

As to thunderbolt, one the one hand, it's integrated in to the chipsets they likely will be using though that's also true of the current 7 +.

OTOH eliminating the USB A port in favor of two USBC ones. might be an indicator of how they will do that, though, the surface port now becomes a big question. It's unclear what the plan is there. At a minimum it would seem to require a new surface dock.

TLDR, for me, if it does have TB and assuming it supports either a new TB dock or is compatible with at least some 3rd party ones, it would be enough for me to replace my work provided Surface Book 2 especially since the majority of my use is in slate mode anyway.

I'm holding on what I think on the duo until they actually announce it, but if it is essentially just a spec bump with up to date processors and cameras, it makes my decision to switch to the fold seem more solid.

6. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I always liked the Surface Pro design - 3, 4,and 6 owner - before switching to the Book. What @desertlap describes is about as good as we are likely to get from the Intel generation. I would add that I expect there will be a removable SSD and a gimped LTE SKU (by gimped I mean i6 with max 16gb RAM and 256gb SSD). However, I just don't see the value proposition for me to switch from my x360-14 since it already has the 11 Gen i7, OLED, 16gb RAM, 1TB SSD (which with removal of a few screws can be upgraded to 2TB for $250), just to save 8-12oz of weight. Not saying my tech lust wouldn't be tempted, but a very tough call.

I've also learned, through a lot of good counseling with some trusted advisors, that I grab my x360 for everything, even what some would consider purely tablet functions (NetFlix, Disney+, etc). This realization is also the key (so far) to my success with the Fold 3 - I'm not forcing myself to trying to use it as laptop replacement, as I was with the iPad in various configurations. In fact, it was almost comical now that I think about my messenger bag with both the 3# x360 and the 2.6# M1 iPad Pro with the Logitech Combo Touch cover...:eek::rolleyes: Thanks to my "counselors," HP, and Samsung.

I would like to ask everyone to drop by the MS 9/22 Presentation thread and name just one device (or piece of news) they hope comes tomorrow.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
    sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  7. dstrauss

Went back and reread Warren's article and it is very much a straight forward "this is what is coming" rather than restrained "we think" much a Zac Bowden "close, but only I know what is really coming" preview.

8. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

I just updated my post from yesterday to include Zac Bowden's mention of the Surface Pro 8's vent. He clearly has seen the device but is holding back information to have more carrots left to dangle journalistically. That is kind of passé now though since The Verge went and confirmed everything else that Windows Central was unwilling to confirm.

Steve S likes this.
  9. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

It is funny how that now that The Verge went all out and did not pull their punches, Zac Bowden felt obligated to mention the vent. That was quite the Captain Obvious comment and not fairly interesting. He does say something else in the same tweet that does perk my interest, though. If he has also already seen the Book 4 (I am suspecting yes given this next part) and likes it so much that he is already committing to a purchase pre-reveal, the Book 4 may be the real show stealer:

Steve S likes this.
  10. dstrauss

This is why I went on my journalist rant yesterday - I hate this smugness and "I know the truth but can't tell you" in Bowden's post at WindowsCentral, but changes in his Twitter exchange (as appeared in Bowden's comments on that same page you referenced @sonichedgehog360):

Posting in reply to Tom Warren's "The Surface Pro 8 I've been waiting for" comment:

[​IMG]
    Tony Palus

I like that your sources tell you that SP8 will ship with the biggest changes since SP3 while @zacbowden
    was told only a "modest upgrade" is coming to the design of SP8. It seems to me you both are reporting the same changes, so maybe just different expectations?

TO WHICH BOWDEN REPLIES:

[​IMG]
    Zac Bowden
    Yup. I'm not excited by the Pro 8 at all. To me, it's just a thicker Pro X lol
    Quote Tweet (quoting himself)

[​IMG]

Zac Bowden

@zacbowden
    · Sep 19
    Replying to @gustavchirps
    Think of it as a combination of the Surface Pro 7 and Surface Pro X design. Display is larger with thinner bezels, chassis is slightly tweaked, supports the new Pro X Type Covers, but device is still thicker/more like the classic Pro chassis than the Pro X chassis.