Surface Pro 8 - Speculation and Rumors

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Jul 9, 2020.

1. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

PS: Rumor du jour is that the photo and the big announcement surprise will be of a Pro X 2 (which is what the image in the announcement might be) with genuine MS designed ARM chips with a bonus that they will also appear in the ever fabled NEO at some point as well.

Not sure I'm on board with that, but it would be nice to see MS shake things up for a change as they haven't really since the original surface announcements.

2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I can believe this in spades, even as a former owner. The price makes even my Fold 3 look reasonable, and even as a confirmed tablet PC user, it was too much work to go "slate" with that device (too large; too awkward; no inclined stand for writing). In fact, among the Book owners I've known or conversed with, I would say the utilization of the slate configuration is even lower than S Pen's in Notes.

:( They need a Pro X Intel design FAR MORE than another Pro X - even if they double the performance it is still heading down a blind alley at this point...

3. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

, soo what is the big difference here? We are talking about a slightly thicker or thinner device here and thats is it (the rest is already rumored the Pro 8 will get).

nnthemperor likes this.
  4. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

Bingo. Now time for some literary analysis and linguistic deciphering. I have read at least three variations from the Windows Central staff of what we will supposedly be getting on Wednesday:

1. Zac Bowden:
    2. Jez Corden:
    3. Dan Rubino
    So Zac Bowden initially believes that some of the specifications appear to be accurate. Contrary to him, Jez Corden made no distinction as to what quantity or portion of the leak is accurate. He simply believes they are "likely accurate." On the other hand, Zac Bowden is the senior editor in this case, so his voice carries more authoritative weight to me. He later changes voice and it becomes apparent that he also is the one who has seen firsthand leaked information when he proceeds to use the precise and definitive language, free of subjunctive qualifiers, in the second quote I cited.

Here, unlike his counterpart, Zac Bowden speaks confidently with "is" rather than "we believe" or "supposed," never qualifying his description. We at least know from Zac Bowden that the Surface Pro 8 will be using an intermediate design. It combines the thin bezels and large display of the Pro X and supports the Surface Pro X Type Cover, but it is still thicker like the Surface Pro 7 chassis. There are also "tweaks" he mentions which may incorporate some/all of the features that his counterpart Jez Corden touched on in his article. As far as physical design, he have absolute certainty being conveyed by Zac Bowden.

On the other hand, Dan Rubino who is the executive editor--the big cheese--has opted to use a tentative and non-committal voice in the same vein as Jez Corden. He prefaces his entire summary article with the clause "there are a few areas where we can speculate." He proceeds to follow the same ambiguous, subjunctive language as Jez Corden with qualifying statements such as "(...) has suggested that (...)" and "(...) does seem to confirm (...)" with relation to (1) the Thunderbolt ports and (2) the 120Hz display. As suggested by others earlier here, this may be to protect them from breaching a non-disclosure agreement for a pre-release review sample they already have on hand, but that may not be the case.

In any case, given the tentative and non-committal language surrounding the Thunderbolt and 120Hz display by Dan Rubino, I myself am not jumping on the hype train for those two features unless one of the Windows Central staff gets more gutsy and says it straight if we are getting or not getting each of those two features. As it stands, I feel fairly confident that the Surface Pro 8 will be minimally receiving this intersectional design that combines aspects of the Surface Pro X and the Surface Pro 7 while the rest of the rumors are a big question mark and not hype train worthy.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
    Steve S and Marty like this.
  5. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The thing is... I've seen a fantastic eGPU enclosure and thus I'm wondering if Dan/Zac will refund if the SP8 doesn't have TB4!?

Dan is the reason I actually closed my WinCentral account after X+ years (oh the drama and angst). His argumentative rants, at people, just didn't sit well.

Never mind. I've grown since then.

P.s. The price of the NEW UK iPad mini is... absolutely baffling.

6. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Which EGPU enclosure?

7. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

That is what is leading me to think Dan may be leading people on with his speculative or non-committal language just to toy with people's emotions and add unnecessary suspense "drama" (since he is such the drama king that he is) rather than being upfront and straight-shooting. Zac at least partially tipped his hand and was very direct about the chassis update to leave no room for doubt.

Steve S likes this.
  8. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

How about this spin - there's a Surface Pro 8 and a Surface Pro 8 Pro (with bigger screen, TB4, 129hz screen). In other words a Surface Pro 7++ and a "newer" designed Surface Pro 8. I can almost agree with Bowden's "Prox X like but thicker" comment because I have to assume needed room for a couple of fans at a minimum.

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  9. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Between him on the one end, and another author whose name I can't remember who wrote a ton of super fluffy posts about Windows Phone that could have basically been Microsoft PR on the other end, I stopped using their site a long time ago myself.

Anyway, I'd be pretty shocked if there was a Pro X 2 with brand new fully MS-designed chips already... I mean with all of the benchmark sites out there, it seems unbelievable to me that nothing would have even been hinted yet. But something like a refresh of the SQ1 based on the rumored 8cx Gen 3 wouldn't surprise me.

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  10. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

, thats just easy clickbait articles for ms fans (=more ads / banners). Just eg like how the Verge does that with Apple stuff (like a whole article about a notch).