Surface Pro 8 - Speculation and Rumors

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Jul 9, 2020.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

@daddyfish - A new leader in the race for best post of the year!

2. COGBABY

COGBABY Pen Pal - Newbie

nnthemperor and daddyfish like this.
  3. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

COGBABY likes this.
  4. COGBABY

COGBABY Pen Pal - Newbie

I don’t have a huge knowledge of this, but do you think Microsoft is developing their own in-house chip with their own technology, as Apple has done?

5. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

, there was a 'leak' that Qualcomm's new 8cx gen3 cpu (for WoA) offers a big performance jump at still low tdp compared to the current 8cx found in eg the Surface Pro X, so at least there seems to be some progress being made. https://www.windowscentral.com/qualcomms-next-8cx-chip-could-compete-intels-11th-gen-cpus
    My guess is that since so far MS seems pretty good at optimizing their latest devices, they would prefer to work more closely together with Arm parties instead solely doing the vertical integration like Apple does. I can also imagine developing their own chips could piss off their partners.
    What I hope is that MS brings on board more Arm parties, like Samsung Exynos and Mediatek. That would create some good competition for WoA. No idea if that is realistic though (maybe in the near feature?).

COGBABY and nnthemperor like this.
  6. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...do you think Microsoft is developing their own in-house chip with their own technology, as Apple has done?..>>

@COGBABY : I don't think so for a couple of reasons:
    • Unlike Apple, hardware design and development (i.e., Surface products) is only a small part of Microsoft's business base. That may be changing with some of Microsoft's recent acquisitions, but that's the case now. Since they don't have an extensive hardware base, horizontal integration is their most economical path to delivering Surface hardware.
    • The microprocessor industry (Intel, AMD, Qualcomm...) has invested a bazillion dollars to get where they are today (in Intel's case, however poorly... Wait. Did I just say that out loud...?). Leveraging this is, again, Microsoft's lowest cost path to providing Surface hardware...

7. dstrauss

Gotcha!

Sometimes I wonder if they are investing poorly, or are they just as hind bound by backward compatibility as Windows is?

COGBABY and nnthemperor like this.
  8. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Sometimes I wonder if they are investing poorly, or are they just as hind bound by backward compatibility as Windows is?..>>

@dstrauss : For several years, I have done competitive assessments to support my company's proposal responses to RFPs. Although competitor cost / price is usually always the bottom line, that cost couldn't be calculated very accurately without understanding the competitor's technical approach. When looking at competitors, we always looked at their existing and historical products because, when cost is key, the least expensive way to develop a new offering is to reuse their existing technology and data. In fact, many competitors will reuse their technology over and over, eschewing new technology development ($$$) in favor of older technology that is deemed to be "good enough." We refer to that as "the tyranny of the database," i.e., that a company is frequently forced back to their previous designs and developments because it is cheaper and usually good enough... with just a little tweaking!

That's what you're seeing with Intel. They've invested so much time and money in their current architecture and processes that they really have to stick with them, making just enough tweaks to stay current with market trends and expectations. Only a MAJOR market upheaval (perhaps such as AMD or Apple represents) will force them to develop dramatic new technology / architecture...

9. dstrauss

Well, here's to raising a glass to AMD and Apple - hope they poke the old bear pretty hard!

10. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Possibly stating the obvious, but I'm thinking that Windows 11 might just appear with new hardware. :)

nnthemperor and COGBABY like this.