Surface Pro 8 - Speculation and Rumors

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Jul 9, 2020.

1. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

This was the last excuse the Microsoft allegedly offered up. I emphasize excuse here. And with the 11th gen even that won't hold because it's fully integrated in to the core chip set.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/4/28/...thunderbolt-support-security-concerns-comment

And additional info on the 11th gen integration

https://www.theverge.com/2020/9/2/2...-lake-cpu-processor-announcement-laptops-fall

Which is all especially intriguing as there is at least one control pair/channel that's currently unused. The last time we asked MS about this about 18 months ago was that it was for "future features"

darkmagistric and Chris_Kez like this.
  2. Chris_Kez

Chris_Kez Reformed Lumia Fan

That was my point. This PCIE lane issue seems to have been solved with more recent chipsets, and should no longer be an excuse. Microsoft will need some other explanation now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. desertlap

BTW: The short briefing we got from intel about these new chips explicitly addressed the security "threat" around TB and booting from an external drive. There are software and hardware hooks that would allow an OEM to say for example disable booting altogether or even allowing to toggle it on or off, from an external TB drive. In fact dell will likely do that with their corporate latitudes.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
    JoeS and Chris_Kez like this.
  4. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I can only wish for the Surface Pro 8 to have such performance: "Iris Xe offers a similar level of performance as the GeForce GTX 1050 Ti"

Blimey!

daddyfish and JoeS like this.
  5. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

It was NEVER a PCIE lane issue - it was a Surface Connector issue. So long as MS insisted on sticking with their proprietary Surface Connector there supposedly not enough lanes. Every major OEM switched to TB3 a long time ago. MS' hardheadedness on this is the same as Apple refusing to put a second USB-C port on the MacBook 12, and it looks like Apple is going to continue that decision with their upcoming ARM based MacBook. So why shouldn't MS stay with USB-C 3.2 - their idols do...

6. Chris_Kez

Chris_Kez Reformed Lumia Fan

I'm personally a fan of Surface Connect, so I was fine with Microsoft choosing to prioritize that over TB3 when it was an either/or proposition. However, with chips now being able to accommodate both, I fault Microsoft for not adding TB3. That said, I'm still not clear how large the market is for TB3 peripherals.

daddyfish likes this.
  7. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Docks. That is ALL you need to justify TB3/TB4 - docking solutions from multiple different vendors - all the way from pocket hubs to eGPU powerhouses. The rest is just gravy.

darkmagistric likes this.
  8. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member

, exiting times with Tiger Lake vs/or (7nm) Vega, finally we can leave behind the crap of mx250 and radeon 540 etc.

, in my experience many of those work well under the recent USB-C too, but anyway is USB-4 not around the corner? That would make tb3 practically useless except for vr and egpu's (which have lots of disadvantages anyway).

Chris_Kez likes this.
  9. desertlap

Except for a few specific video support edge cases, TB4 and USB4 will be for all intents and purposes with intel chips the same thing.

AMD and other chip sets that will require a separate additional chip set will be a different story

10. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Thats not the same equivalence. In case of the Macbook 12, it was their first use of USB-C as well as the keyboard/form of their current macbooks. (well not the keyboard anymore). But that Macbook 12 was more or less at the time expected to supplant the role of the Macbook Air, but that plan got side tracked when the Air continued to outsell it. Thats likely why Apple saw no reason to really update it and why they eventually took it out of the their lineup. And Apple at least offered the upsell option, the mentality if you want more ports, go from the regular Macbook to the Macbook Pro. Microsoft has thus far only given the Surface line a lone 3.2 USB-C. (2 in the X), but they're reluctance to go anywhere near USB-C/Thunderbolt is more equivalent to Apples reluctance to make Mac OSX touch/pen/2-in-1 friendly as in the same manner as Windows devices went.

As far as the ARM Macbook, the rumors of the single USB-C port and return of the Butterfly keyboard concern me, (more so the keyboard) but if Apple can legit deliver a 15-hour battery life, I don't think that lone USB-C port would be much of a concern, especially if they do hit the $799 price point. If I had to guess, their only reason for wanting to resurrect the body of the Macbook 12 is probably because they had excess leftover stock of the materials and parts for it.