Surface Pro 8 - Speculation and Rumors

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Jul 9, 2020.

1. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member

, that changes everything for TPCR's :p.
    <dozen of mouse cursors hovering over the pre-order button>

On a more serious note, I am really curious to the increased battery life with the bigger battery + Tiger Lake 'efficiency' gains.

nnthemperor and JoeS like this.
  2. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So..., just sifting through the flood of supporting materials for the 7+ we just got, one thing that is consistent is that they call it the Surface Pro 7+ For Business

I wonder if that means it's not going to be a broadly consumer channel available item? And if that's true what does that mean for the consumer channels such as Best Buy (where the + is already showing on their business site , but not the main site)????

Could just be a simple delay in web ready materials I suppose.

EDIT: so apparently the regular 7 pros will still be available in the consumer channels with the 7 + being restricted to enterprise, business and education resellers

That's an odd choice, and IMHO a mistake

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
  3. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Between the modest spec bump and the SSD door, in the sense of the modest bumps Pro 5-7 were, they could have easily still called this the Pro 8. The simple fact that they are now touting this modest refresh as a Pro 7+ Indicates to me that a true Pro 8 will be more then a modest refresh. And since it’s been over a year and this is the proverbial scrape to hold us over, quite likely it also indicates the true Pro 8 may not be that far behind. Like how the Surface Pro 2 was quickly replaced by the Pro 3, I would be hopefully maybe for the June-ish refresh.

daddyfish likes this.
  4. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

We've heard from multiple sources, that what became the Pro X was originally intended to be the pro 7 , but that Intel's failure to get to 7nm was the reason that MS went with a plan B with the SQ1

If that's true, then we may have a long wait for the true pro 8 with Intel telling everyone not to expect 7nm core I until early-mid 2022

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  5. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

Ooof that is bad, but that's kind of to be expected with Intel lately. Let's hope Qualcomm gets it's act together & releases a tablet cpu that has performance that is at least comes close to the M1.

6. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I say screw 7mn, It seems with the Pro 7+ they have somewhat gone halfway to the Pro X with the SSD door, thinner screen glass, and enabling LTE thru the chassis. All they have to do is round the edges, reduce the bezels, give us an extra USB-C, make them both Thunderbolt 4, Slim pen Keyboard Cover, and they could call it a day.

dstrauss likes this.
  7. bloodycape

daddyfish likes this.
  8. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member

Tbh (in regard to future cpu's) I would be glad to sacrifice a little bit of efficiency if it means keeping replaceable/upgradable SSD's.

What I think would be interesting is if MS would go AMD for their consumer Surface Pro line and Intel for the business line.

, I am not expecting much on the short term but still cool that Intel goes that direction.

9. bloodycape

Well it has too since the ARM competition is already there & in some ways kicking it's butt.