Surface Pro 8 - Speculation and Rumors

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Jul 9, 2020.

1. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I just hope that MS will see the light and add some thunderbolt ports this time!

2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Shame shame shame on you...

3. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

CES isn't until January (and pre-emptively canceled for 2021), the article quotes Intel stating there will be at least 50 devices rocking tiger lake this fall. With us already in September, fall releases would be rather imminent. Especially for a marginal update from the sound of it, why would Microsoft break from their usual October refresh? If everyone else is getting Tiger Lake devices out for fall, and with the Arm Macbook still likely to hit before 2021, not having a fall refresh of the Pro seems like a poor choice for Microsoft. Unless they plan on focusing on updating the Pro X solely for the fall.

But i'm a little curious though how they intend to increase the screen size. The current Pro's keyboard covers literally reach the bottom of the screen with the magnetic incline. The Pro 3 had some space leftover which is where the Pro 4 was able to increase the screen size. Unless they make the Pro 8 a 16/9 or 16/10 aspect ratio, (which I hope not) they wouldn't be able to increase the screen size without reworking the keyboard cover (or unbalancing the bezel ratios), which would then break compatibility mostly with the old keyboard cover and some accessories.

So if new keyboard covers are going to be required, I only hope they finally offer a slim pen keyboard cover. Its kind of tragic how they created a the best surface pen thus far, but treat it like an unwanted step child.

nnthemperor and Chris_Kez like this.
  4. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Good questions that I dont 100% know the answers too :)

As to screen size, it's supposed to be in exactly the same overall size case so the existing keyboard covers will fit. And if you look really closely there is some black space that a same ratio slightly bigger display could fit in since we are only talking about .2 total inches.

As to timing, the operative word may be BY. MS actually hasn't participated in CES in serious way for awhile unless they have new Xbox.

I've heard that even though intel announces fall thats a broad term AND which could mean December ? More importantly we've heard that the Intel 11th gen chips are going to be constrained at least until q1 2021. So even if the others announce, they might be hard to get.

So again rumor based so take as such...:eek::D

5. darkmagistric

Where is the black space? If you use the keyboard covers flat there is still space, but I'm referring to the magnetic incline that the Pro keyboard is always advertised at. Given the way the keyboard cover literally reaches the screen on the bottom, if they increased the screen size evenly on all 4 sides of the bezel, using a Pro 4-7 type cover at the incline would cover a part of the bottom of the screen.

Without a new type cover, they could take away the side bezels, which would change the aspect ratio, or they could change the side and top bezels and leave the bottom bezel larger then the others, which would look kind of unbalanced. The Pro X ate the side bezels, but was able to retain the aspect ratio because they redid the keyboard cover. Even with the Go 1 and 2, they left excess bezel above the keyboard cover on the Go1, the screen increase in the Go 1 from the Go 2 was the same as the Pro 3 to Pro 4 and utilized that leftover space. With the current pros there is no left over space.

1.jpg

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
  6. desertlap

I knew what you meant including the pictures.
    So first off the .2 inches is on the diagonal . On the vertical axis we are talking a fraction less than .1 inch.

Second, though it doesn't look like it, there is room for that less then .1 inch. Just eyeballing it. doesn't seem that way but it 's a case of perspective distortion involved .and there actually is room (I measured it after first hearing this thinking, ok how would that work?)

Third and more practically more than anything it's due to a change in suppliers and not something that MS will be touting since it's such as small difference

And you may say, well what about the go? Well it jumps .5 inches diagonally, but as a percentage difference it's also larger and therefore more noticeable with just looking at it when you take in to account its was a 10 inch and additionally, the panel in the Go 2 is overall improved in multiple ways over the original go panel (maximum brightness, color gamut, linearity ). I don't expect that to be the case here and likely solely a result of changing suppliers. I only mention it because you will likely see it in the specs.

And of course my sources could be wrong about this and availability as well though they have been spot on in the past. Availability especially is always tricky as there are so many variables in producing something like a surface when you have multiple component suppliers in the mix.

So that's all I've got :)

EDIT: as @JoeS points out below, my math was off though my measurement wasn't.. Possibly a new covid symptom:p:D

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
    darkmagistric likes this.
  7. JoeS

Actually 0.17 on the horizontal and 0.11 on the vertical. So a fraction more. :) This allows for a bezel reduction by a whopping 2mm (horizontal) or 1.4mm (vertical). :thumbsup:

desertlap likes this.
  8. desertlap

yeah you are right, :) I did the math and measurements a few days ago and I'm suffering from fuzzy memory I guess. Regardless my point about there being room stands!:cool:

PS; yet another reason why I like this place, most here know their stuff !!

nnthemperor, darkmagistric and JoeS like this.
  9. JoeS

Those pictures are a great argument against Alcantara for the type cover. :eek: Or against cheetos.. :p

darkmagistric and desertlap like this.
  10. darkmagistric

lol....yeah I'm not gonna lie, my 2-year old Pro 5 type cover is downright disgusting at this point. And I've been mostly living a Keto diet the past 2 years, I can guarantee there are no cheetos anywhere near my Pro 5. I don't really even eat with it that often, any stain would be mostly be just from general use and/or coffee.

I think this is why they switched the Pro 7 Keyboard Bundle to use the Black Keyboard instead so stains wouldn't show as vividly as they do in my photos.. but most Pro 4-6 users would probably be at this point looking more to replace their keyboard then the Pro itself.

JoeS likes this.