Surface Pro 8 Discussion Thread (October 2021)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by sonichedgehog360, Sep 22, 2021.

1. Eltos

Eltos Scribbler - Standard Member

Could be...wouldn't be the first time that BB has does something weird.

2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

3. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Dongle-land isn't so bad, but I would like to come back from it.

>WALNEW

People can take their chances with one of these odd-named Chinese manufacturers (I'm surprised they haven't been caught up in the recent Amazon ban) and they'll likely work, but I'm a brand man myself.

So I recommend the Kingston Nucleum.

It's great to see. Although being 2230 does limit that a lot as there isn't that much out there and the capacity currently stops at 1TB. Considering Samsung squeezed in a 2280 SSD into the Galaxy Book 12 (albeit no user accessible and requiring a heatgun to access)... they could do it if they really wanted to.

You forgot the sauciness. Calling @Kumabjorn

Last edited: Sep 26, 2021
    Bishop likes this.
  4. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

So I just stoped at my local best buy to see if they have the Pro 8's in for demo stock yet, and sadly no. So we're gonna have to wait to get some hands on time with them. ( was a long shot)

They did have the iPad Mini 6 on Demo as well as finally getting the S-pens in for the Galaxy Z Fold. The Fold I think I can hold off on for now, but between the Mini 6 and the Pro 8...this is gonna be an expensive fall. However the Mini 6's 256GB model won't be released for another month or two, and no way am I getting the 64GB, that fills way too quickly. Small comfort to cushion the financial blow to my credit card the Pro 8 is gonna put on it.

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  5. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Phew, $1680 for the i5 16GB/256GB with keyboard and pen, plus tax, plus whatever a 30mm 1TB drive costs. Very nice machine though, can't wait to need it. :)

Last edited: Sep 26, 2021
  6. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I feel that is perhaps a horrifyingly terrible question to ask in these parts.

For as much as we all are relatively pleased with the Pro 8...given all the devices we all currently own... who here can say legitimately that they "Need" the Pro 8.

The eternal battle of Want Vs Need rages on.

7. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

"Unfortunately" I still have a perfectly functioning X1T3 16GB/1TB i7-8650u with more than a year warranty/ADP. So unless it gets involved in a traffic accident, I think it'll have to be the Surface Pro 9 for me!

Eltos and Bronsky like this.
  8. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Master enabler here - and I say no as well. Thanks to @desertlap 's eagle eye spying of a BB one day bargain last October ($1299) my HP Spectre x360-14 has:

i7-1165G7
    16gb RAM
    1tb SSD
    2xTB4
    1xUSB-A
    3000x2000 OLED
    mSDXC slot
    Rechargeable Pen

I feel it is more than a match for the SP8 - AND until midnight tonight (09/26)
    You can still get it today at BB for $1529

I know there is a lot of love for Surface Pro here, but this is just way out of line with reality (says the guy who dropped $1100 on his Fold 3 phone/tablet replacement). Now that the SP8 weighs nearly as much with the type cover, it is merely a form factor question. Granted, a flip 2-in-1 is not as sleek as the SP8 by itself, but at this point you darn sure need to be committed the tablet form factor in spades. Of course, the i7-1165G7 is a year old chip, but the SP8 is only an iteration on that with the 12th Gen just over the horizon.

And BTW - if you are looking for i7/1tb you are moving up to twice the price...

Last edited: Sep 29, 2021
    alextrela182 and perry59 like this.
  9. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

It looks like they already have the listings up for the Surface Pro 8 commercial SKUs at some places.

CompSource
    Source:
    https://www.compsource.com/searches/search.asp?keyword=surface+pro+8

Archive:
    https://web.archive.org/web/2021092...com/searches/search.asp?keyword=surface+pro+8

Provantage
    Source:
    https://www.provantage.com/service/searchsvcs/Q?SEC=&QUERY=surface+pro+8&SUBMIT.x=0&SUBMIT.y=0

Bonus! I managed to uncover the SKU code for one of the elusive demo models. The Core i7 variant with LTE, 16GB RAM and 256GB SSD has the SKU of EIY-00020.

[​IMG]

Source:
    https://www.rds.ch/microsoft-demo-surface-pro-8-i716256-lte-comm-pl-eiy00020

Archive:
    https://archive.st/archive/2021/9/www.rds.ch/7mek/

10. dellaster

dellaster “Content Consuming Child” Senior Member

No "need" at all here. My Yoga 9i has:
    • i7-1185G7
    • 16gb RAM
    • 1tb SSD
    • 2xTB4
    • 1xUSB-A
    • 4k 14"
    • Rechargeable Pen in a Silo
    • Slender and just over 3lbs
    (To mimic the response by @dstrauss)

Tech lust can't get me there this time.

sonichedgehog360, Eltos, JoeS and 2 others like this.