Surface Pro 8 Discussion Thread (October 2021)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by sonichedgehog360, Sep 22, 2021.

1. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

BTW: due to an accident with one of our engineers yesterday, we got to see what's inside the new Signature keyboard versus the cheaper Surface Pro X keyboard. Both work fine with the Pro 8, but we thought experientially we felt a bit less flex in the signature keyboard versus the Pro X keyboard and now we know why.

MS has stuck a couple of what looks like very thin carbon fiber inserts in the signature keyboard that aren't there in the Pro X keyboard and they must be there to reduce flex.

PS: The magnets on the signature keyboard seem to be a bit stronger as well as it's harder for the cover to come loose unintentionally.

OTOH, I'm not sure those two things justify the big price difference on their own, and would only recommend it, if you also want the holder for the Slim Pen 2

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  2. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

For some Japanese people, especially young people, a smartphone may be the only computer they have ever had.

I remember reading somewhere that such a thing is more common in Japan than most other developed countries.

I can see how you could get by with just a smartphone, but it sounds like a sort of hell to me.

Apple's silicon is undoubtably impressive, but their charts are utter dogshit.

Sure, they are at least name the products they are comparing them with, but there's no context. What test? And they didn't even put units on the y-axis. They know what they are doing so it can't be incompetence, so it must be being deceptive. Scummy.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2021
    nnthemperor, Eltos and JoeS like this.
  3. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

Not yet, but I'm looking myself. Thankfully, I don't have a Surface yet since the kind of case (that protects and integrates with the Surface Pro 8's built-in kickstand) I'd want isn't available yet either. That's the situation on Amazon: the search results just show some Urban Armor cases and that's pretty much it. I have been going around contacting some case makers via email, phone and such. Outside of Urban Armor, the general gist I am getting is cases won't be available for at least another 1-2 months. I just got word back from Fintie in Ohio, for example, who I called and emailed (very responsive company!) and they told me they won't have their cases available for purchase until November/December timeframe.

4. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

ShutUpAndTakeMyMoneyFuturamaGIF (3).gif

Or alternatively give me an ARM based Surface Pro 7+/8 with M1 Pro power 10gb of ram & 256gb of SSD & I'd be happy.

5. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Thanks, I will keep looking as well. There was one that came out (Fintie) when the original Pro X was released but it apparently disappeared pretty quick. I did see on on EBay that might have been the same one but the seller was asking $275 :eek:

6. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

What's CDW's estimate for the base i5 model? That's the one I ordered.

Sent from my SM-N975C using Tapatalk

7. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

All the SKUs (demos and non-demos regardless) that were ordered during the first week of that post are showing still 30 days from the current day that you call. So November 20th. Per CDW, no Surface Pro 8 orders have been fulfilled yet. So it would seem Surface Pro 8 is a Best Buy exclusive for now. This 30-day wait moves one day with each subsequent day, though. So tomorrow will be November 21st, and so on. Hopefully, this delay will not be perpetual.

nnthemperor likes this.
  8. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I see. Thanks

Sent from my SM-N975C using Tapatalk

9. perry59

perry59 Scribbler - Standard Member

at least yours didn't get outright canceled like mine did

10. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Huh. I didn't realize at some point they also released a Pro X / Pro 8 keyboard with a fingerprint reader built in until I was looking into this just now. I'd rather they just built the fingerprint reader into the power button (like on Duo) since the only time I would need it is when my device is docked and closed (blocking the Hello camera), but still interesting.