Surface Pro 8 Discussion Thread (October 2021)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by sonichedgehog360, Sep 22, 2021.

1. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

At my college classes here in Japan, I see a mix of both Macs and Surfaces, but not that many ipads. I also do see students using only their iphones. Last Monday, I had an in-class academic writing exercise and could count up to 4 students typing away on their 5" iphones. Just couldn't believe it.

Sent from my SM-N975C using Tapatalk

Tams, sonichedgehog360 and Eltos like this.
  2. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Very likely they are using the iPad as a 2nd monitor via Sidecar, at least thats the only reason I'd be juggling both.

3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Good luck - a great law school and faculty (says the beaming dad).

nnthemperor likes this.
  4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Think they are note taking on iPad and looking at course materials (or Facebook) on MBA...

nnthemperor likes this.
  5. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

Not from apple, but for a few years the Wacom based ModBook Pro was an expensive thing. Only con was the built in keyboard was no more. But, I'm sure you remember this product & fiasco.

Eltos, Bronsky and dstrauss like this.
  6. darkmagistric

I always had a soft spot for that product. Back when Pen tech wasn't as generally prevalent as it is today, and the only viable options were $1500-$2000+ Tablet PCs or Cintiqs, while the Modbook was expensive, comparatively it wasn't that bad given what we were all generally spending on penabled tech back then anyway. And despite the production/release issues that plagued, I felt it was a unique solution to offer a taste no one else had on the menu. I know they had a Modbook Pro X that had some sort of keyboard dock...but I would love it if someone could do something similar, and dissemble a M1 Air, and give it a EMR board, touch screen, kickstand, and removable keyboard cover. A true M1 modbook for the new generation.

bloodycape, dstrauss and nnthemperor like this.
  7. darkmagistric

But back to the Surface Pro 8, I was kind of randomly checking Amazon to see if there was any good deals on the Pro 8 (renewed or refurbed) and one thing I saw that was interesting is that they still have the Pro 8 as a pre-order, with its release tomorrow the 21st. My backordered CDW order is still technically standing, but despite the Oct 5th release date, maybe the 21st is the real release date? That would explain why Best Buy has been so slow to roll it out. Here's hoping some Pro 8 orders get going tomorrow, at least my CDW order anyway.

8. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

Bad news. It seems CDW’s estimates (an ongoing 30-day perpetual delay) must be accurate for the Surface Pro 8, for corporate and consumer customers alike. On Amazon, excluding the entry level i5 model which shows an arrival date of October 27th, I am seeing a mid November fulfillment date for the i5 model right above it and the rest of the models have no ETA. On the face of it, this situation has all the signs of a semi-paper launch. I imagine stock won’t stabilize until January by the looks of it. Sigh.

upload_2021-10-21_10-22-43.png

upload_2021-10-21_10-25-8.png

upload_2021-10-21_10-28-21.png

Last edited: Oct 21, 2021
    nnthemperor likes this.
  9. Eltos

Eltos Scribbler - Standard Member

Well that sucks...:(

darkmagistric likes this.
  10. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Question for all, has anyone seen/tried any 3rd party case similar in design to the Apple Smart Folio for the iPad Pro/Air, but for the Pro 8?

Smart Folio for iPad Air (4th generation) - Mallard Green - Apple

I've said before that I generally like the feel of aluminum over the magnesium, but using my Pro almost all day yesterday as a tablet, I've discovered it's a tad slippery at times.

I have the aforementioned Apple case for my Pro 11 and it's a got decent semi soft and grippy feel while adding very little weight, and I'm hoping for something similar for the Pro 8.

Taking a step back to the general topic. I'm really liking this thing for what I do most days.. I spent the day reading technical papers and document markup in acrobat with the slim pen 2 and it was the best surface experience I've had to date, hitting the seeming sweet spot between the older Pro 7 and the Surface Book 13.5 in overall feel.

And of course having full on Word and Excel available (compared to the IMHO somewhat constrained IOS versions) also came in very handy.

I now agree with our MS rep who said when she first showed us the new systems, that this is the ultimate Surface Pro to date.