Surface Pro 8 Discussion Thread (October 2021)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by sonichedgehog360, Sep 22, 2021.

1. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Umm in portrait orientation the web cam is either on the left or right side of the tablet. "upside down" doesn't really apply here

2. RazzNuts

RazzNuts Scribbler - Standard Member

Lol you are right, I had a brain fart! I meant to say webcam on the right side.

Unless you are left-handed, most people touch the screen with right hand and hold the tablet on the left side (so the webcam is not covered) I guess the correct term is 'mirrored'?

But upside-down still applies for volume button. Check your phone volume button location, it's not on bottom left/right ;) Also the ports in portrait tablet seems to follow the same pattern--they are on the bottom side.

I don't think there is a 'right' way to hold the tablet in portrait, but I imagine MS is just following common pattern.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2021
  3. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Are the volume and power buttons not placed exactly the same as with the Surface Go (2)? I do not think the buttons can be placed any better on my Go 2, its perfect for portrait mode since my right hand can easily reach the buttons like on most phones but never accidentally press them. In contrary to with my Pro 1 my belly never presses the buttons by accident :).

4. desertlap

The Pro 8 is unique for good or bad in that the power button and the volume control switch are on the upper right and left sides of the tablet respectively when in landscape orientation and thus when held in either portrait orientation the power or volume button end up on the bottom right edge.

The Go has the power and volume buttons on the top left of the system when in landscape and in the upper right when held in the way most hold it in portrait orientation (and thus not an issue for me either)

PS: The button location on the Go is very similar to the classic iPad

PPS: Our device designer speculates that MS may have done this for two reasons. One is symmetry as the buttons are at the same approximate location on the left and right. The second possible reason is that there may not have been room for the switches without making the upper bezel wider.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
  5. desertlap

One other Pro 8 and Surface Studio Laptop item as well.

The newest Intel graphics drivers support the dynamic refresh rate that MS talked about at the announcement.

It's important to note that MS hasn't certified them yet (not available through Windows update) and based on some testing this morning we'd hold off until MS approves them as they seem to be a bit buggy with some occasional visual artifacts and at least a couple of blank (white) screens on the Studio laptop where the only recovery was a hard restart.

Probably fine to play with as an individual but shouldn't be deployed to a production system IMHO

https://www.windowscentral.com/late...e-dynamic-refresh-surface-pro-8-laptop-studio

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
  6. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I guess this makes it official - upgrading the Surface Pro 8 SSD is not verboten as it supposedly was in the Surface Pro X - because Danel Rubino is handing out instructions...

7. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

, whoops I was looking at the pro x which was mentioned in a pro 8 article. I agree with you that the button placement could be improved in future iterations.

nnthemperor and desertlap like this.
  8. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

If the next generation of Go's don't follow suit with the Pro series and add Thunderbolt, 120 ghz refreshed display, G6 Chip, Pen cradle and swappable SSD, I would have to seriosuly consider moving up to the Pro. Is there a fanless I5 version?

Of course that would depend on the ability of the Samsung Fold 4 to act as my portable note taker and consumption device, religating the Pro 8 to the briefcase for portable use where a more robust device is necessary (for say, weekend brief writing).

nnthemperor likes this.
  9. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Yes. This is where I have landed, with the Fold 3 and x360 this year. I have high hopes for even more improvements in the Fold 4, and assume I will be upgrading next year, but for me this was the optimum chance to escape the clutches of iOS, or I could have been looking at a purchase today (M1X) and a Mini 6 last month, and spiraling out of control.

dellaster, nnthemperor and Bronsky like this.
  10. desertlap

Two last comments for the day. I've said before but I'm really liking the new slim pen 2.

Besides the shape being better when I'm holding it, the feel drawing/writing onscreen is improved as well, just a bit more friction, not paper/pen level, but more than the regular Surface.

Bases on a conversation our pen expert had with MS Friday, part of that might be due to the haptics in the new pen. The MS engineer told her that some of the haptic stuff is super subtle and you'd possibly only notice in a side a by side comparison

Our pen expert asked about the different tips and the MS engineer pointed out that though it's different with the regular surface pen, it's the same tip that's in the original slim pen.

Using both the old and new slim pens just now side, by side I can feel a slight difference though it's possible I'm experiencing a placebo effect.

Also, now that I have my own company issued system, it has a Samsung SSD Drive MZ9LQ256HBJQ.

Running a quick disk test, it has a bit faster read speeds, but also slightly slower write speeds than the Kioxia 256 GB that is in our lab unit.