Surface Pro 8 Discussion Thread (October 2021)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by sonichedgehog360, Sep 22, 2021.

1. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Yeah the piracy problem is the reason they have given in the past for the "dumbing down" of quality in the browser.

I'm not sure that it's 100% valid though as widevine support is in edge, chrome, and safari and in theory it should offer just as solid protection. OTOH, just now looking at all three browsers, each has different versions and I have no idea if that's just a variation due to different platforms or if any are lagging the others.

My personal opinion though is that the movie industry need to get to the same place that the music industry has which is to accept that at least to some degree pirating is always going to occur, but the best route is to create tangible incentives not to, along with continuing to go after the most egregious offenders.

Disney is likely extra sensitive to it however as their content regularly tops the list of "most pirated".

A side note to all this, one of our consultants often works with law enforcement on matters like this and he points out that it's not actually browsers that are now the prime source of pirated content, but older gen smart TVs that they are hacking in to capture it (especially LG smart tvs running WebOS)

That's why you are seeing the various content providers like Netflix cutting off support for older models. It's not due to quality issues

Tams, Eltos, darkmagistric and 2 others like this.
  2. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

, stuff like that is one of the reasons why I am happy I went for a htpc. A third party box should help too.

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  3. XJ12

XJ12 Scribbler - Standard Member

This. Maybe I'm just a dinosaur. But glad I got the SP7 that has support for a MicroSD card.

daddyfish and sonichedgehog360 like this.
  4. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 New forum: bit.ly/newTPCR Senior Member

Steve S and Eltos like this.
  5. JoeS

JoeS New forum: bit.ly/newTPCR Senior Member

Side note, why oh why did I let you start the Surface Pro 8 thread. It killed a great streak I had going! :mad::p
    Rabbits! Rabbits everywhere!!
    upload_2021-10-16_14-53-32.png

6. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 New forum: bit.ly/newTPCR Senior Member

Haha… I know that when rabbits multiply, boy do they multiply and multiply quite a bit, but I hope you don’t mind me stocking this tech menagerie with maybe just one itsy bitsy hedgehog among that sea of rodents. ;)

Steve S, nnthemperor and JoeS like this.
  7. RazzNuts

RazzNuts Scribbler - Standard Member

Phew, I'm glad I'm holding off buying SP7 and went with Go 2 instead. The upgrade is big enough compared to SP6 -> SP7.

Thinner bezel, 120hz with adaptive refresh rate, and new pen + haptic feedback. Now we are talking.

This is probably my next buy when it's getting deep price cut in 1 - 1.5 years from now.

nnthemperor, Eltos and JoeS like this.
  8. Eltos

Eltos Scribbler - Standard Member

That's what I am waiting for. :)

9. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I have one small nitpick with the Pro 8 that I hope they address with the Pro 9 (or 8+)

And this may be more specific to some than others, but I was reading an ebook this morning in portrait orientation. The issue I have is that either the volume control or power switch end up in my right palm when I'm holding it so I either constantly am changing the volume or turning the screen off.

OTOH, I was using the Pro X for the last couple of days for a work project, and it's nice to have a headphone jack.

Like I said, nitpicking I suppose, but I can't be the only person that holds it this way.

PS: I'm loving the Slim Pen 2. Even I can tell a difference both in overall design and inking as well, pen challenged as I am compared to some here. :)

10. RazzNuts

RazzNuts Scribbler - Standard Member

Why are you holdlng the tablet upside down? The volume button and webcam are supposed to be on the top, no?

nnthemperor likes this.