Surface Pro 8 Discussion Thread (October 2021)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by sonichedgehog360, Sep 22, 2021.

1. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 New forum: bit.ly/newTPCR Senior Member

They are hidden from public searches and web crawlers. It takes some noodling, but you can find all the SKUs on CDW just by playing around with the URLs and noticing patterns in the store product numbers. They just put them up too within the last few days (privately, and not even listed in their own site search results) which is why no one else is savvy. As for how I know the SKUs, the full demo SKU list for North America just went live here and has become a decoder ring of sorts for me:

https://savvyportal.itsavvy.com/Product/Search/Keyword?keyword=SRFC PRO8 demo&showPartsWithNoCost=False&isNewSearch=False&isLCM=False

bloodycape, perry59, Steve S and 2 others like this.
  2. JoeS

JoeS New forum: bit.ly/newTPCR Senior Member

So you're saying there is a chance this works! I'll be sure to sign any emails as "IT acquisitions manager". If that's a thing.

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  3. perry59

perry59 Scribbler - Standard Member

really would like to pull the trigger on this, half price?!? whoa!
    still a bit skeptical, as the old saying goes "if is sounds too good to be true..."
    EDIT:
    Well, just ordered the i5/16. hope I don't regret it.
    also just found out I cant pre-order the keyboard/pen from MS unless I also order a pro 8.
    how the hell am I going to get that?

Last edited: Oct 1, 2021
    JoeS likes this.
  4. sonichedgehog360

Trust me, it’s real. I got my current Pro 7+ with this life hack.

You can preorder the pen and keyboard combo here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/collections/surfaceproaccessories?headerid=department-surface

There might even be a demo SKU floating around for it, though. I’ll have to check in a few.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2021
    Steve S, Eltos and perry59 like this.
  5. sonichedgehog360

Honestly, they couldn’t care less. You could be a sole proprietorship just being a person. If anything, they seem to promote shady stuff as their 800 number’s automated message mentions running Plex servers which few legally run businesses do. I can tell you most folks (outside of myself who has all the media legally acquired, does not torrent his media, and keeps it to my immediate family) do not operate Plex servers legally and often sell subscriptions to them for profit. For example, Reddit has a whole black market subreddit dedicated to just selling thousands of Plex server subscriptions, which of course is totally illegal.

Steve S and Eltos like this.
  6. perry59

perry59 Scribbler - Standard Member

Awesome! Thanks!
    I may have to check back on the keyboard thing. The only ones that looked like they were for the Pro 8 (pen nook) either had fingerprint readers which I don't want or red which I don't want either.
    EDIT:
    disregard, I didn't look close enough. they have the platinum bundle too.
    I'm assuming the demo unit is platinum colored, it didn't specify.

Eltos likes this.
  7. sonichedgehog360

You can check the SKU against this link from my “decoder ring” post. I think it tells which are either graphite or platinum among all the SKUs.

https://savvyportal.itsavvy.com/Product/Search/Keyword?keyword=SRFC PRO8 demo&showPartsWithNoCost=False&isNewSearch=False&isLCM=False

perry59, Steve S and Eltos like this.
  8. Eltos

Eltos Scribbler - Standard Member

You are making this tougher on me sonic! How long do these last? Will they still be there 6 months from now? Will the price stay the same that long? Lower? Higher? I had no idea this existed (and I have been a developer or sysadmin for over 20 years!). I am so ashamed. :D

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  9. sonichedgehog360

Honestly, I had no idea about this until only the last year or so and I have college buddies who worked or work at Intel who have interfaced with the Surface Team. They do a good job keeping this hush-hush is all I can say. In my experience, I have found that they are more willing to give out demo units without restriction at the beginning to facilitate uptake. However, they are less willing once the product has been on the market for a couple months. Here is another good website that I found earlier that lists more SKUs.

https://shop.techdata.com/searchall?b=1&kw=PRO+8+DEMO

Steve S and Eltos like this.
  10. JoeS

JoeS New forum: bit.ly/newTPCR Senior Member

Well gee, consider all my worries assuaged. :p

Thanks for all the tips though, now please keep that a TPCR exclusive - for totally non-selfish reasons! :D

sonichedgehog360 and Eltos like this.