Surface Pro 8 Discussion Thread (October 2021)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by sonichedgehog360, Sep 22, 2021.

1. dellaster

dellaster Creatively Talentless Senior Member

I hear ya. Even though I have sold on Swappa a bunch of times without issue, including my own iPad mini 5 LTE a little while back, there's still a chance you'll go through all the trouble and expense and the person will do a fraudulent complaint. Return, refund, start all over and by then it probably isn't worth the trouble. Ask me how I know. :rolleyes:

Right now on Swappa a wifi 64GB iPad mini 5 in "mint" condition is going for about $300, seller pays shipping/insurance and Swappa gets a small cut too ($15 at that price, I think). So if a trade-in gives $200 for that config I wouldn't bother selling it myself.

2. nyb72

nyb72 Scribbler - Standard Member

So far have been lucky enough on Swappa.

Definitely have lost faith in Ebay, 2 of my last 5 sales, the customer claimed it was missing a key part even I knew I packed it and triple checked or photoed.

Eltos likes this.
  3. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

eBay is... annoying.

The amount of tech auctions that are 'mysteriously' increased by the army of '0' feedback bidders is insane. Then, eBay removing the option to see the feedback score of the people bidding, leads me to believe that they're increasing profits where they can. Higher price, higher profit for them. Conspiracy theory be conspiring!

I'm only annoyed because my 7+ went for the same ish price as a 7.

4. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

sonichedgehog360 and Eltos like this.
  5. Eltos

Eltos Scribbler - Standard Member

Yes, actually, I saw it on Reddit a little while ago and was coming here to say this. :)

6. nyb72

nyb72 Scribbler - Standard Member

Even if I took photos of the packed item, I wind up getting a photo showing the item "missing", so no one can prove anything, not that it was concrete proof to begin with. Maybe I need to elevate my game and take a video of the packed item at the shipping store and recording the clerk sealing the box before it is officially in the hands of the shipping company.

Because now I wonder if "missing" parts is now the new auction scam. I wind up having to "settle" (provide) a favorable discount to "make things right." Otherwise, it would get returned without the "missing" parts.

JoeS and Eltos like this.
  7. Eltos

Eltos Scribbler - Standard Member

I have started videoing everything that I do, and I also only sell on swappa which seems to (hopefully) have a better clientele...still it is getting painful...

nyb72 likes this.
  8. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Yeah that's a pain. There's also quite a few dishonest sellers on eBay, sending straight up the wrong item, or those zero feedback sellers listing a brand new iPhone for 60% retail, where I very much doubt they have that item. I wonder how many kids get burned by those. Anyway, I've mostly been lucky, but yes, there's always a risk.

9. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

Update on the corporate demo SKUs: I am keeping an eye on Aztek Computers (among about a dozen more dealers and distributors!) that maintains their list of Microsoft demo unit SKUs wide open for all the world to see. I know Surface Pro 7+ used the codename Camano/Mano for the Wi-Fi and LTE which is reflected in its online corporate demo unit listings. I hear tell that Lucca/Morro is the codename for the Surface Pro 8 Wi-Fi and LTE models. So searching for the terms Lucca and Morro might uncover the corporate demo SKUs eventually.

nnthemperor, Steve S and bloodycape like this.
  10. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

Hey gang! I found the first good deal on Surface Pro 8 demo units. Here are two i5 models, one with 8GB RAM and 128GB SSD for ~$675 and another with 16GB RAM and 256GB SSD for ~$800.

i5 8GB/128GB: SUR PRO 8 I5-1145G7 128/8 W10P TAA - HBY-00002 - Laptops & 2-in-1s - CDW.com / SUR PRO 8 I5-1145G7 128/8 W10P TAA - HBY-00002 - Laptops & 2-in-1s - CDW.com (archive.org)

i5 16GB/256GB: SUR PRO 8 I5-1145G7 256/16 W10P TAA - HC1-00002 - Laptops & 2-in-1s - CDW.com / SUR PRO 8 I5-1145G7 256/16 W10P TAA - HC1-00002 - Laptops & 2-in-1s - CDW.com (archive.org)