Surface Pro 8 Discussion Thread (October 2021)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by sonichedgehog360, Sep 22, 2021.

1. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

alextrela182, Steve S and JoeS like this.
  2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Looks like a winner to me. Might not get this gen, but the fact that they added TB4 is huge!

Eltos and sonichedgehog360 like this.
  3. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

It does, but I am personally not interested in a display larger than 12.5in on a tablet, which has me thinking older 7+

4. sonichedgehog360

The one loss I am seeing here is the Micro SD card slot. On the storage front, that is not a total deal breaker when the SSD is totally modular now. But it is something important to bear in mind if you planned on carrying over a 1 TB MicroSD card.

Steve S and JoeS like this.
  5. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

The 4% increase in screen diagonal made it too large? I think the device footprint remained almost identical, so personally I'm fine with 13".

6. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

So initial word from MS is that TB will only be available on the ports on the system itself and there won't be a new Surface Dock at least in the near future.

Additionally, not clear at all yet, but based on some tentative documentation we've seen it looks like there is some potential for PCI lane rationing on a fully "kitted out" Pro.

In other words, you might have an issue with a Pro 8 connected to a surface dock with video, ethernet, usb all being in use along with one or more TB devices on the device itself. Obviously very much an edge case, but so are most of those here :p:D

The short solution looks to be better to invest in a TB dock and forego the surface dock if you are a new buyer.

7. sonichedgehog360

Interesting. All models including the historically passive i5 model now use a fan. Microsoft Mechanics responded to their video with this comment:
    Link:
    Surface Pro 8 Hands-on Review + Updates to the Surface 2-in-1 Lineup - YouTube

Steve S and desertlap like this.
  8. sonichedgehog360

@desertlap, I posted this question in the comments of the Microsoft Mechanics video but maybe you would have the answer.

Can the render output of an external GPU be directed to the internal tablet display? I have a family member who is considering the Surface Pro 8 for a converged gaming/tablet device. Some laptops and tablets play nice with eGPUs and will let you use your internal display while others not so much.

Steve S likes this.
  9. desertlap

good catch, my engineers and I were just wondering how they would deal with increased thermals that come with a thinner case and bigger/faster display.

Personally that's a trade off I'm happy to make, and I'm getting one of the new Pros and my surface book 2 will be handed down in the company.

Eltos, JoeS and sonichedgehog360 like this.
  10. desertlap

@sonichedgehog360

The answer is "definitely maybe" :) in other words the specs support it, but to date no one has implemented it successfully. One 3rd party attempted it on the Intel MacBook Pro last year, but it never got beyond a prototype and was bug city.

sonichedgehog360 likes this.