Surface Pro 7

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Jun 25, 2019.

1. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Did you recently say that MS was trying to create a "reference standard" (or words to that effect) with the Surface line? What innovations have they really added since, oh, the SP3?

2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

You always seem to know what I said better than I, but I think I haven't said that since the early days of Surface and Surface Book. Maybe Centaurus will be a reference design (for a "folding laptop"), BUT I think Lenovo already has that beat with their folding ThinkPad X1 coming next spring...Unbox Therapy...

3. lovelaptops

You're right - you didn't say it; @JoeS did! Maybe he has his EARS closer to the pulse (see how I said EARS there, right? :p)
    So, Joe, when's the last time MS has demonstrated "what is possible" rather than "what's been possible for years and everyone else has surpassed us on (though not in very groundbreaking ways)?!!"

JoeS likes this.
  4. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Umm.. right around the time they released the Surface Book 1 I guess? 2015? So yeah, it's about time they wow us again!

lovelaptops likes this.
  5. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

6. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

7. Steve S

<<...when's the last time MS has demonstrated "what is possible" rather than "what's been possible for years"...>>

...I think you underestimate the delicate balance between an innovation design (i.e., a design reference system) and a reliable design (i.e., a consumer product).

While Microsoft portrays Surface as the former, it is really more the latter. After being badly burned a couple of generations back by (what might be argued as) the premature adoption of a just issued processor, it seems to me that Microsoft took that lesson to heart and now introduces products that feature components that are more mature and understood. That certainly reduces the excitement of leading edge performance, but it does make for a product that you can count on working day in and day out.

IMO, the Studio 2 is a perfect example of this trade. When it was introduced slightly over a year ago, it got savaged in these forums for using a "last generation" processor; how could Microsoft commit such a blunder...?

But... my wife's (can't forget that!) Studio 2 has suffered none of the issues that plagued the original Studio, and it's last generation processor has handled hideously big (to me) PowerPoint files without reproach. And, on what little time I get to touch it, it's a joy to work on. Would I rather have a device that works reliably rather than one that operates questionably on the absolute bleeding edge? You bet!

Microsoft has actually put themselves in a difficult place with their Surface product line. The trades that they make will almost always be criticized. Like many here, I can be disappointed in some of their annual product introductions... but I also understand (and appreciate) the balance act that they are performing...

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  8. lovelaptops

(sigh) why bother to even ask the question anymore? MS treating Surface like a classic "cash cow" in product life cycle: sharply limit all further product investment except occasional marketing/sales promotion, starve product improvements, "harvest" maximum free cash flow. Many consumer products last for decades in this phase (think Mennen shaving products!) and deliver most, if not more than 100% of product life profits in this stage.

But this is the first time I've ever seen any tech product line managed this way. It's a clarion signal they don't like this business, it has outlived usefulness to them, and likely are only using it for secondary and brand halo purposes. What a waste.

EDIT - Bad timing - that was meant to be response to @dstrauss post, not the one you posted, @Steve S , while I was writing this. Still, it's the same general topic. I can understand hanging back w/silicon gen for stability, but USB-C, TB ports?

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
    dellaster likes this.
  9. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Microsoft don't really have to try. To me, the Surface line is a way to 'remind' OEMS that straying too far into the Android segment will annoy MS. Ms also doesn't have to try that hard as you have, from experience, copies like the Latitude 5285 that run warmer, and are nowhere near as good as the Surface line. Heck.. my 5285 kept restarting.

The oems are lazy. They always will be, as it's a great big gamble to design and create something new. Plus, with intel randomly bricking NUC devices with bios updates, I agree with Steve with MS keeping themselves away from the very top level of tech. Intel write crappy graphics drivers, release terrible bios updates and more (Although I'm sure that MS obviously tweak them). I'm just glad that I finally have a quad core in a tablet format. Anything other than that is a bonus.

P.s. But none of that will stop article writers and web pages BLASTING MS for not having x or y, whilst licking the outside of Apple's skin for featuring just one port.

lovelaptops and Steve S like this.
  10. Steve S

<<...whilst licking the outside of Apple's skin...>>

...OK; can't unsee that...

lovelaptops likes this.