Surface Pro 7

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Jun 25, 2019.

1. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

I'm finding now sadly that the iPad Pro 11 has been filling my needs for notes more than SP1-4 ever has. No thunderbolt 3 on a flagship device in 2019/2020 is just plain wrong. iPad Pro + thinkpad X1 Yoga (if i need the power) is my setup. The pen truly sucks on the Surface. Too much lag.

efjay, JoeS and dstrauss like this.
  2. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Ok, but you guys specifically referenced decoupling pen/touch from the kernel—ie. lowest-level possible.

If we are talking about a new UX framework built on the unified kernel, then hell yeah! I'm all for that! They should have done that with Surfaces all along. :)

3. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I think that's a hell of a combination.:thumbsup:

soh5 likes this.
  4. mgerbasio

mgerbasio Scribbler - Standard Member

I still use my Surface Pro, have had every model from SP2 through SP but rather than a SP6, I bought the Book2. Very nice job by Samsung.

5. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well... With the advent of the new Ice Lake range, I'm thinking that a Core i5-1035G4 (would prefer a Core i7-1065G7) would be pretty nice. 15w or 25w, time will tell. As mentioned previously, I'd be so damn happy with an external GPU dock and a Surface Pro. The SP6 has cemented, forever more, my affection and reliance of the Surface brand. I've had them all, with no other brand or model having remained by my side for this long. I might even marry a SP7.

I recently fitted a tv, flush (ish) against my living room wall, with a NUC8i7HNK. Reasonable gaming and tidy. A simple hdmi cable, to a gpu dock, would mean I could finally use one machine. A Surface Pro 7. The dream is nearly here (crosses fingers).

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
  6. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Not to burst your bubble Damion, but my bet is that the USB-C is not the USB-C you are looking for; it's going to be just USB-C, not TB3...

[​IMG]

This is one where I really hope I am wrong....

7. excalibur1814

In the words of Luke,

"NoOoOooooooooooOoOoOoooooooooOooooooooooooooOooooooooooooooooo!"

sonichedgehog360 and Bronsky like this.
  8. excalibur1814

Want!

i7-10710U, 6C/12T, Base of 1.1, one core turbo 4.7, all core turbo 3.9, 12 MB, 15W

SIX cores in a Surface Pro format. (Shock, gibber, gasp, gosh and blimey!)

Make it so MS!

This is sitting in my watch list: (Will read reviews first)
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B075RJH...olid=2WW0FN7M0TQQH&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

"StarTech.com TB31PCIEX16 Thunderbolt 3 PCIe Expansion Chassis w/DisplayPort, PCIe x 16, External PCIe Slot for Thunderbolt 3 Devices"

9. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

More rumors surfacing (ha ha ha) daily. Here are a couple of the more interesting:

TechRadar: larger, multi-zone trackpad (ALSO - note the specialty keys ABOVE the main keyboard):

[​IMG]

WCCFTECH and notebookchcek.net: LTE on all Surface Pros and swappable SSD on Surface Laptop. I find this one really hard to believe because EVERY manufacturer (PC's and Apple) commits highway robbery of $150-$200 to ADD an LTE module, just like up-selling RAM and SSD.

Many Sources: USB-C replacing mini-DP port but NO THUNDERBOLT 3 FOR YOU!

That last one both galls me and I find impossible to believe. EVERY reviewer, blogger, and most of the general public went nuts when Surface Pro 6 didn't include USB-C, much less Thunderbolt 3. There are only a handful of ultrabooks today without TB3, so a decision to insult customers with a switch to standard USB-C is a real slap in the face. There is just NO excuse for doing that. I keep reading they need the PCIe lanes for the Surface Connector, but almost ALL of the premium laptops and ultrabooks have two TB3 ports with a full 4 lanes each - there's just no excuse for not having a four lane TB3 port on this device.

So here's hoping that this year's BIG SURPRISES for Surface Pro 7 are the new keyboard; at least one TB3 port; and optional LTE on all SKU's (available at release, not 6-9 months later).

Also on my personal prayer list:
    • 13" minimal bezel screen
    • ThinkPad X1 Yoga-like rechargeable pen in its own garage (if Lenovo can do it, so can Panos)
    • [​IMG]
    • At least one SKU with Intel Iris 655 graphics or MX250

Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
    lovelaptops and JoeS like this.
  10. alaskajoel

alaskajoel Scribbler - Standard Member

Especially since these devices will likely use Ice Lake rather than Comet Lake and Ice Lake has moved the thunderbolt 3 controller directly onto the chip. No more Titan ridge controller taking up valuable space.