Surface Pro 7

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Jun 25, 2019.

1. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Makes sense in a corporate environment. I can imagine that in academic settings the Pro would be vastly preferred over the Go. Masters students and up definitely end up using all that computing power.

As for the Go, I do hope that they end up boosting the screen diagonal by a few tenths of an inch. I do realize they need a relatively thick bezel along the long edge to accommodate the pop up keyboard attachment, but even with that the current Go design leaves some bezel space above the keyboard edge. They could definitely up the screen size a bit while keeping it 3:2 aspect ratio. I hope they will!

2. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

A short bit of background information

Part of our companies job descriptions are a "technology profile" ....e.g. to use my job as an example, requires significant mobile use (greater than 50% of total use) access to data when wired or wifi connections may not be available and also means significant volume of data consumption.

That translates to me for a Surface Pro with Dock, Keyboard, mouse and external display, and iPhone with tethering.

That being said, department directors have a bit of leeway with devices to fit an employees specific needs. To again use myself as an example, since I also work with our device designers and occasionally demo or show what they do I have need for AutoCad on occasion and thus I got a Surface Book 2 with dedicated graphics to be able to use it.

Our lead technical writer likes to be able to view as closely as possible to printed, our technical manuals and bulletins and so we supplied her with a yoga 930 with it's e-ink screen.

To answer your other questions, we did not as a company deploy Surface Pros prior to the 4. And with the advent of the Go, it then becomes a choice of Pro or Book 2 if they need more power depending on what the specific job requires.

As to pro vs go, definitely done a curve so to speak, but the Go represents an exceptional value given the price point, plus mobility. The pro similarly equipped pushes past that $1000 target number and becomes an exception.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
  3. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Just a quick question, the "fully kitted out" price of $1000 you refer to, includes the dock and monitor right?

(Otherwise it wouldn't truly be "fully kitted out", if 70% of users required extra stuff to make it work. ;))

4. desertlap

Yes. to be specific from our supplier the total bill of good is $938.50 plus taxes :)

sonichedgehog360 and Marty like this.
  5. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Not to hijack the Surface Pro 7 thread, but since I know a few of you follow my ever changing signature, here's the latest in a not so small nutshell:

I ordered a Dell XPS 9380 refurb today (i7, 16gb, 1tb) for a whopping $1,517 with full one year warranty. I have been reading everything I could get my hands on about the upcoming Surface devices, looked over what has been released this year by other OEMs, and decided the XPS 9380, with an iPP11 chaser as my note taking device, was the best solution.

I keep running back to the GB12 not because of the digitizer, but because of Windows 10 Pro and the ease of the VPN experience with our server. I don't think I'd ever be able go all Apple, and on the refurb market the XPS is costing me a $700-$900 LESS than a refurb 2018 MBP13 anyway. So this way I get to keep my wooby (Windows 10), dabble in iPadOS, and still have a great note taking experience through OneNote while enjoying all of my magazines and media content. Until sidecar comes to Windows (never?) I can use duet display for more screen real estate.

PS - the urgency is I am down to 5gb storage on the GB12 and I have HAD IT with the keyboard folio tipping over trying to balance it in my lap.

6. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...This is pure hope on my part, but if they do keep the surface pro lines and the surface book 2 lines, my hope is that they double or triple down on the tablet functionality of the pro. e.g make it thinner, lighter and substantially reduced bezels...>>

<<...It just strikes me that more and more the Surface Pro, without some type of rework is the odd man out...>>

This is a pretty interesting and thought-provoking discussion. A few thoughts that have occurred to me:
    • Unfortunately, it's going to be hard for Microsoft to double-down on Surface Pro 7 tablet functionality without significant cooperation from the Windows Team, and it's pretty clear, to me, that in the recent reorganization, tablet features in Windows took a significant priority hit.
    • That causes me to wonder if Centaurus might be an attempt to maneuver around the Windows Team, and their lack of interest, by creating a product that has "customized" OS features that are more in control of the Surface Team?
    • The idea of a "thinner, lighter" Surface Pro 7 just puts the Pro on a bigger collision course with the Go, doesn't it?
    • I think it makes more sense to keep the Pro as a statement device, as mentioned by @desertlap . However, @dstrauss is correct in pointing out Microsoft's remarkably sluggish approach to innovating on the Pro. Instead of going all WOA 8cx, however, how about going the other way; Ryzen with a dedicated GPU? Actually make the Pro a little thicker to allow for more battery...???
    • I'm also in favor of thinner bezels, but I suspect that mechanical issues are mostly responsible for their current size. The active screen has a non-trivial thickness (unless you're talking OLED) as do the edge connectors; getting everything to fit together while making the device even thinner is the problem. (And don't forget that the screen has to attach to something to hold the unit together.)
    • I have the luxury of using the ZBook X2, Surface Pro and Go LTE pretty much every day, and by comparison I have always found the Go to be limiting. Once you've experienced the speed and capability of the ZBook and the Pro (and for that matter, the ZCanvas), it's hard to settle for the Go. That doesn't mean that I don't understand the mobility advantages of the Go (and I've traveled with it a fair amount); it's just poky. Given the choice, I'll always bypass it for the ZBook and second for the Pro... So I think that there is definitely a place for the Pro in the Surface lineup, perhaps in academia and technical industry as @JoeS suggests.

7. dstrauss

<<...That causes me to wonder if Centaurus might be an attempt to maneuver around the Windows Team, and their lack of interest, by creating a product that has "customized" OS features that are more in control of the Surface Team?...>> @Steve S

BINGO! That would also explain the internal reveal they've never done before (to ours and the knowledge of most of the pundits). It would be interesting if MS has decided to do a little skunk-works here and let Panos run wild with a limited production specialty device focused on WOA and 5g - could MS ever be that brave and forward thinking?

Not to continue the hijacking, but with more and more OEM's converting to USB-C charging, why in the world not add a USB-A, SD card, and maybe even HDMI 2.0 port to the power adapter as a mini-dock?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
    sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  8. desertlap

It also explains a lot of the "windows lite" and windows ARM rumor stuff that's going around. Get around some of the limitations and expectations by creating a new product category

9. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Get around some of the limitations and expectations by creating a new product category...>>

...In my thinking, it's not about the product; it's about control of the UX. Relying on the Windows Team to deliver has failed, so the Surface Team creates a product that logically requires extended software functionality for its business case that the Surface Team gets to control more directly. Internal entrepreneurship maybe.

<<...why in the world not add a USB-A, SD card, and maybe even HDMI 2.0 port to the power adapter as a mini-dock?..>>

...Because then every time you pick up and travel, you have to unplug everything (and then replug stuff upon your return). In customer's minds, a dock means something specific and is based on the concept that it stays in place, and all you do is connect the mobile device. Your concept is essentially the reverse. Not saying that some people wouldn't be interested, but the larger customer base probably wouldn't be...

10. dstrauss

I don't see it as a permanent solution - it is the anti-dongle for travelers. The one thing I really loved about my SP was the USB A power plug in the brick - if it had been bi-directional it would have been killer, and just think what road warrior wouldn't want to be relieved of dongle hell - maybe as an extra-cost option?