Surface Pro 7

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Jun 25, 2019.

1. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That seemed to be MS plan with the original surface models but I don't know now.

We are a surface shop now, primarily because of the go and pro. However I don't think they are anywhere near market leaders generally. I'm certain they sell less surfaces than Apple does Macs

And there's the thing, Apple defines the Mac and IOS experience in a clear understandable way. You may not like them or their products, but there is no doubt about they have a vision and the integration across the various product lines is miles ahead of anyone else.

MS should do that too; even if they don't want to sell a lot of hardware, they still want to sell windows and office and exchange and their services.

2. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yeah, I just wish that they'd accept what is good in their experience (precision of a stylus as a mouse replacement) and not cripple it (making a stylus work as an 11th touch input for scrolling since Fall Creator's Update).

3. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...MS should do that too...>>

...For a while, during the early Surface introduction period, I think that Microsoft was. But then, under Nadella, they retreated.

Now, Microsoft seems to be a little conflicted; am we a Windows OS company? Am we a cloud / service provider? Without the will to commit, Microsoft will not be able to display the "clear" vision that is ascribed to Apple...

sonichedgehog360 and Bronsky like this.
  4. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

To be sure, by any standard the Surface design has been a rousing success. My interest in tablets was primarily as companion devices. The Surface eliminated the need for both a laptop and a tablet. A docked Surface was far better and replaced them with a single device.

The development of the Surface design just hasn't moved fast enough and Microsoft's handwringing, painfully slow, incremental improvements haven't helped.

YVerloc and dstrauss like this.
  5. YVerloc

YVerloc Scribbler - Standard Member

They could undo the ‘meh’ switch over to Ntrig by making a dual-digitizer ‘creator’ edition. The Ntrig pen would be branded as the ‘surface note pen’, and do all the note taking and pen input type things, and a Wacom EMR pen would be branded as the ‘surface art pen’. Then split the line evenly down the middle into a ‘creator’ line and a ‘consumer line’, three form factors each - a laptop, a 2-in-1, and a tablet. The consumers would be smaller and lighter, 13ish inches, and the creators would be bigger and heavier, 16+ inches. Clean up the line up and split it cleanly into budget and premium tiers with a clear differentiation between them. My 2p

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  6. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

I am quite fond of this idea of having a note line and an art line to distinguish the two products and return to their roots when EMR’s superior pen capabilities were used in the Surface line. As it is, I would not be surprised at all if Wacom were more open to this kind of move because as I understand it Wacom has lost a lot of customers and is not in the strong financial position it enjoyed a decade ago. I could easily envision them being willing to let their technology become the elite standard of Microsoft’s Surface in an effort to to restore prominence and prestige to their own brand image.

7. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Never happen! It's hard enough to get MS to include current technology or adequate CPU's in the Surface line.

8. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

True and the way both the go and pro are built it's pretty integrated in the core design.
    That being said, a next generation would be the time to do a design overhaul

9. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Since the WHOLE PC industry (save Samsung) has followed Microsoft's lead down the N-Trig rabbit hole (even Wacom with its own AES - and better - solution), I guess we'll never go back to superior EMR technology. There is, however, one sliver of hope in @YVerloc and @sonichedgehog360 thoughts - how about a superset for creatives and snobs (like me) - return to the LEADERSHIP role on the high end:
    • Surface Studio - that gloriuos screen, with Wacom tech, would be an extraordinary device for artists and engineers, and would merit a five figure price - take that Mac Pro
    • Surface ProE ("enhanced" - whatever)
      • Same form factor as Surface Pro
      • Wacom EMR
      • 13" screen (virtual bezels)
      • 10th Gen high end i7
      • 32gb RAM option
      • 2TB SSD option
      • 2 USB-4 ports (may as well reach for the sky)
      • 5g LTE
      • Side car like functionality when connected to the Surface Studio
    • Andromeda
      • High end Snapdragon device with built in 5g LTE
      • Samsung S-Pen
      • 8gb RAM option
      • 512gb SSD Option
      • mSSDXC
      • 1 USB-4
    Yes, I am likely asking for a $10,000-$15,000 combination of devices, but they would DESTROY Apple's lock on the creative market, give guidance to less expensive solutions from other OEM's, and maybe even a return to EMR on smaller folding devices.

10. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

Let's just hope that the Surface Team actually got the memo for every Monday meeting to actually stop and review this thread for posts like this. A guy can aimlessly wait and hope for a major update to the Surface Pro, amirite? @Bronsky got his Surface Go after all, so dreams do come true. If we got just a handful of these features, I would chock it up as a major design win and party hardy. Let's hope the engineering team was able to prevail over the bean counters and the executive tight wads.

Bronsky, dstrauss, Steve S and 2 others like this.