Surface Pro 7 Discussion Thread (October 2019)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

JoeS and sonichedgehog360 like this.
  2. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I've looked at a Sandisk mSD but, due to the STUPID price and lack of device that'll actually use it, decided that it would be a silly idea to buy one.

3. Steve S

<<...I've looked at a Sandisk mSD...>>

...I bought one of those during a rare dip in the price. It's a nice card, but even the adapter failed to take advantage of the extra UHS-II capability (only a single row of contact fingers). I have no idea when I'll ever get a device that will take advantage of this card...!

ile and excalibur1814 like this.
  4. ile

ile Scribbler - Standard Member

I thought those 256++ SanDisk Extreme are? Nope?

That's a ****ty move from MS. They apparently need to sell the SPX through the sophisticated Keyboard/Pen-Combo and bigger display in order to convince people from this stupid ARM Idea...

5. Steve S

I stopped at my local Best Buy this afternoon; the Microsoft rep was in yesterday and swapped in several Laptop 3 and i5 Pro 7 demo units. I wanted to follow up on an earlier comment that I had read about the new Type Covers having better key feel, but I also took the opportunity to check a couple of other things:
    • A Pro 6 was still on display at the Microsoft table, so I was able to directly compare the Pro 6 Type Cover with the new Pro 7 Type cover, actually 3 different Pro 7 Type Covers. The bottom line is that the key feel is essentially the same, both in throw and in tactile feel. One Pro 7 Typre Cover felt ever-so slightly "crisper," but I think that was just normal production variation. So, if Type Cover "feel" is one of your considerations for upgrading from a Pro 6 to a Pro 7, consider that factor a draw. I did think the Ice Blue color is very attractive, though, and the Red a little less so. The black plastic Type Cover for the black Pro 7 looked... very utilitarian!
    • I can't be completely certain, but the microSD card looked like a UHS-I configuration rather than a UHS-II. I could only see what looked like a single row of contact fingers inside the socket (whereas UHS-II would have two rows with a gap in the second row). I tried looking in Device Manager, but could not find an SDcard entry.
    • While I was in Device Manager, I also confirmed that the WiFi 6 device is the Intel AX201 as sonichedgehog360 reported earlier.
    • I looked briefly at the system SSD; it was a Toshiba KBGxxx device.
    • I also verified that the Pro 7 bezels are the same width as the Pro 6 bezels and that the sculpting of the edges of the case are also identical (contrary to what was reported in another "hands on" article from the 02 October reveal).
    • As an aside, the Laptop 3 doesn't seem to attract much attention in these forums, but I looked at three of them and I was very impressed; the overall design is crisp and the units look very slim and very, very polished. Panos wasn't lyin'...!
    Finally, the Best Buy rep came over to ask if I needed help, so I took the occasion to ask him about the Pro X. To my mild surprise, the rep said that the Pro X demo units would be in the store on 28 October (a Monday). I'm guessing that means that the units may be in our Microsoft store a few days earlier...?!??

sonichedgehog360, Marty and ile like this.
  6. Steve S

sonichedgehog360 and ile like this.
  7. ile

8. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Let's just say its not as good as a Samsung EVO SSD, which is the top of the pyramid.

9. ile

Is that go
    Is that good or bad?
    Mm, okay, that's not what I need. Solid performance is sufficient.

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  10. Steve S

sonichedgehog360 and dstrauss like this.