Surface Pro 7 Discussion Thread (October 2019)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I need reviews. I NEED... to read reviews.

2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...I NEED... to read reviews...>>

...No, you don't. You already know you want them to have your money...

3. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

Yesterday, I just demoed the Pro 7 again and the Laptop 3 for the very first time for another Cinebench run. Unrelated to that, I learned the Laptop 3 happens to have a Qualcomm Atheros Wireless AC chip (I didn't note the exact model), so no Marvell there, either, thankfully. I downloaded Cinebench R15 onto both of them to do a quick head-to-head. The Pro 7's Wi-Fi 6 chip, the Intel AX201, was noticeably quicker at downloading over the Best Buy Wi-Fi connection than the Laptop 3. Though this was but a brief demo session, my best Wi-Fi reliability and throughput has consistently been with Intel Wi-Fi chipsets. The Pro 7's Wi-Fi was easily the best Wi-Fi experience I have ever had on a Surface. Returning to the reason I demoed the Surfaces, here are their test results in Cinebench R15 (single core/multi-core):

i5 Model Surface Pro 7 — 168/723

Ryzen 5 Model Surface Laptop 3 — 146/714

Test conditions:

Both were run cold in high performance mode. Cinebench R15 was set in Task Manager to highest priority.

upload_2019-10-8_20-31-0.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
    bloodycape and Marty like this.
  4. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

[UPDATED 16Oct19-A] Now that there's been some time to do some research, and thanks to information provided by members like @sonichedgehog360 , I think we can now better define the value proposition for the Pro 7 relative to the Pro 6. It turns out that there's a little more going on under the hood than we were first told.

For the purposes of this post, I'm only going to cite the i7 details; except for the processor, the other details almost certainly apply to the i5 model and probably to the i3 model as well:

What is different about the i7 Pro 7 relative to the i7 Pro 6

Processor... Ice Lake 10th Gen i7-1065G7 versus 8th Gen i7-8650U - 10th Gen will provide a nice performance bump
    Graphics.... Intel Gen 11 Iris Plus versus Intel UHD Graphics 620 - Iris Plus almost twice the power of UHD Graphics 620?
    RAM...…….. 3733MHz LPDDR4x versus 1866 MHz LPDDR3 - Significantly faster RAM
    WiFi………… WiFi 6 802.11ax (Intel AX201 chip) versus WiFi5 802.11ac (Marvell chip) - Intel AX201 should provide significantly faster and more reliable WiFi performance
    TPM...……. TPM in Firmware (no chip) versus TPM 2.0 chip - Microsoft claims the firmware implementation makes updates easier with no decrease in security over a physical chip

In addition, the i7 Pro 7 features:
    • Studio mics for better clarity sensing the human voice
    • USB-C 3.2 Gen 2 (10 GB/s) and DP 1.4 in place of the mini-DisplayPort; can run 2 4k displays at 60 Hz. Can charge the Pro 7 (60 W: 20V @ ~3A to as low as 7 W: 5V @ 1.5A when Pro 7 is off) and can power other devices such as a cell phone (5V @ 1.5A; 7.5W)
    • USB-A 3.1 Gen 1 (5 GB/s)
    • BlueTooth 5.0
    • Fast Charge from ~5% to ~80% charge in about one hour
    • Updated display that is brighter (450 nits?) yet also more power efficient
    • Improved Hello camera
    • Type Cover features a larger touch pad with better "click;" key travel and tactile feel the same as SP6 Type Cover
    So, rather than just a simple processor upgrade, it appears that the Pro 7 features a more global upgrade of its system architecture and power system. Hopefully, that makes the Pro 7 a little more attractive to those who may be pondering a purchase.

5. bierot

bierot Pen Pal - Newbie

Another interesting feature, according this source:

https://mspoweruser.com/the-new-surface-pro-7-will-support-usb-c-charging/

is that "...you can use a standard USB-C charger to charge the new Surface Pro 7. Even some portable power banks can be used to charge this device."

Marty and sonichedgehog360 like this.
  6. sonichedgehog360

Many monitors--including the P27u-10 I just received yesterday in the mail--also supports a display connection and device charging simultaneously via USB-C. One cable to rule them all!

7. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Does that one connection also allow the use of a couple of USB ports on the monitor? Because in that case people won't even have to buy a dock anymore, the monitor IS the dock.

8. sonichedgehog360

Short answer: yes but with a possible caveat. Long answer: Due to the bandwidth limitations of USB-C, you have to choose between operating at 4K 60Hz and only having USB 2.0 speeds or operating at 4K 30Hz and having full USB 3.1 speeds.

It is not a deal breaker if you are just using a USB keyboard and mouse, but add wired gigabit ethernet or high speed external storage to the mix and this could end up being a problem. Keep in mind this only applies to monitors supporting 4K resolutions and above that have USB-C connections with power sharing. By the way, with a Thunderbolt 3.0 monitor, you wouldn't have this problem which is why some people are peeved Microsoft did not just go all in and make that port Thunderbolt 3.0-capable. Of course, that then would eat into their beloved Surface Dock sales if they allowed Thunderbolt 3.0 docks and monitors to steal the spotlight and we wouldn't want that, would we? ;) Then again, if Microsoft sold an Xbox-/Surface-branded Thunderbolt 3 GPU enclosure (given that this year I am also refreshing my desktop, I would have strongly considered consolidating my desktop and Surface into a single device), I think they might have been able to recoup a lot of these losses.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
    dstrauss and JoeS like this.
  9. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

If only it had the Surface Pro X screen and Thunderbolt 3 - what a wonderful world this would be...

cbutters, JoeS and sonichedgehog360 like this.
  10. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Herman's Hermits.