Surface Pro 7 Discussion Thread (October 2019)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

Rats! As the result of an earlier @sonichedgehog360 post, it belatedly dawned on me that I may have to reassess my decision about not updating from my New Surface Pro. My criteria, mentioned elsewhere on the forums, included an Ice Lake processor and either a display or a pen improvement. Since neither of the latter two were mentioned in Tuesday's extravaganza, I decided that I would stick with my nSP for another year.

But I forgot about the Slim Pen (with engineering improvements) and the fact that it's compatible with the Pro 7. If it turns out that the Slim Pen offers improvements over the "standard" Pro Pen, I might just upgrade after all.

Unfortunately, as of this afternoon, my local Microsoft store had several Laptop 3' s and i5 Pros out on the floor, but no Pro X's or Slim Pens. The staff said that they either had not yet received those items or they were still among the embargoed boxes that they are still unpacking. The store manager said that they had received literally hundreds of embargoed boxes that they couldn't touch until after the reveal on Tuesday...!

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  2. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

Here is a post I shared on Reddit regarding the Surface Pro 7 i7's integrated GPU:

Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
    cbutters and daddyfish like this.
  3. Steve S

From WindowsCentral:

You can now download the new Surface Pro 7 and Surface Laptop 3 wallpapers
    Four fresh Surface wallpapers are now available to download.

...No thanks. Desolate landscapes do nothing for me...!

4. Steve S

<<...Another improvement that hasn't been mentioned much at all is the Surface Pro 7 now has twice the memory bandwidth. The Surface Pro 4 through Surface Pro 6 had dual-channel 1866 MHz LPDDR3 RAM. The Surface Pro 7 has dual-channel 3733 MHz LPDDR4X RAM...>>

@sonichedgehog360 : Where did you see this? Other than the processor and USB-C, are you aware of any other subtle hardware tweaks?

NEVER MIND; found it...!

5. sonichedgehog360

PCWorld, CNET and few others have it listed in the footnotes. LDDR4X is newly supported with Ice Lake 10th Gen Core processors and 3733 MHz LDDR4X seems to be the new baseline for the Surface Pro 7 and other Ice Lake products.

6. Steve S

7. sonichedgehog360

Thanks! Interesting. I knew LPDDR4 uses much less power than DDR4, but what I didn't know was LDDR4X uses significantly less than either! That should help a lot to conserve battery life when Surface Pro 7 is mostly idle in Connected Standby.

8. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That is interesting especially the power consumption which will have a bigger effect on overall experience than the speed which will only show in very high bandwidth scenarios.

Additionally I don't believe the pro X will support that RAM though I could be mistaken. The 855 doesn't nor does the at this point mythical 8CX. I say mythical since to my knowledge no systems with the 8CX have actually shipped.

OTOH It would be a MS thing to do to have the custom SQ1 support it.

9. metalsiren

metalsiren Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

on the MS Spec sheet it has listed

8GB or 16GB LPDDR4x RAM at 3733Mbps . for the Pro X

10. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Great, serves me right for replying on an iffy connection without checking first:rolleyes:

sonichedgehog360 and Bronsky like this.