Surface Pro 7 Discussion Thread (October 2019)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

, heat too yeah? I have to say my Go 2 is never really hot (only the screen is a bit warm sometimes when eg playing games on it). What program do you use most of the time for work / note taking?
    Battery life I can imagine though, since the Go 2's battery is on the smaller side.

2. RazzNuts

RazzNuts Scribbler - Standard Member

Yup, I think it makes sense for the same workload SP7 will generate less heat due to its physical size and 10nm processor.

I used Edge with *lots* of tabs, OneNote, Mendeley and Xodo PDF editor or occasionally Drawboard PDF.

I discovered an interesting thing, setting up DPI to 225%, makes SP7 closer to SG2 Pro in term of touch-friendliness, it's subtle, but I enjoy it.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2021
  3. daddyfish

, true but the Go's cpu has a lower tdp and the screen is lower reso. But anyway have you already set that tabs go to sleep faster in Edge? That could help since as someone else here pointed out some sites are badly optimized and tabs awaken fast anyway (I personally do not really notice it).

4. RazzNuts

That's the thing, my workload is light enough for SP7 but kind of moderate load for SG2. So it doesn't draw as much power in SP7, but occasional turbo is in order with SG2.

I got the conclusion by checking the current wattage draw in CoreTemp.

Regarding screen resolution: I don't do any 3D stuff, so apparently it makes little difference.

How do I set this sleep thingy in Edge? Seems useful.

5. daddyfish

, at default it probably already is on but you can speed it up; search for 'sleep' in Edge setting menu than you will see "Put inactive tabs to sleep after the specified amount of time:" and set this to 5 minutes. You can also add websites as exceptions here but so far I had no need for that.

6. RazzNuts

Ah yeah, the default is 2h. That's too long. I don't do streaming or long running task in background tabs, so I think 15 min is better. Thanks for the tips.

One more observation that I could not possibly know unless I have both devices:

Inking performance: SGO2 cannot track swift pen movement as good as SP7. This is kinda a big deal for me, as I jot fast AND my handwriting is *not* pretty. D:

Basically with very fast cursive writing, the curving ink stroke become polygon in SG2. I made sure to adjust the zoom so I write with the same letter size.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 28, 2021
    WillAdams likes this.
  7. XJ12

XJ12 Scribbler - Standard Member

mine used to flash to a black screen when first using the pen. was very annoying. but the problem has gone away. actually it has been so long now that I forgot all about it, till I saw your post. hope yours has mysteriously fixed as mine has.

now I'm waiting for mine to stop losing its battery connection or I'll have to return it. unit just shuts down randomly on me. initially was worse while charging. then it has done it exclusively on battery. very annoying.

8. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

@jangaru : Not helpful, I know, but I never had a pen problem on my Pro 7... and that was over a two year time frame. (i7 / 16GB / 512 GB)