Surface Pro 7 Discussion Thread (October 2019)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. RazzNuts

RazzNuts Scribbler - Standard Member

Right now, I'm holding the SP7 in portrait mode, and indeed it looks hilarious, I feel like a toddler playing on a oversized tablet.
    Holding with handstrap means you just hold it normally with one hand, but you don't have to worry about grip.

Oh would you stop gaslighting me about my poor decision of buying SP7 instead of SGO2? The buyer remorse is already killing me..

daddyfish, dellaster and Bronsky like this.
  2. dellaster

dellaster “Content Consuming Child” Senior Member

No permanent loss (except a bit of time) since the SP7 is returnable. And this way you’ll have no second thoughts, wondering if you should have gone with the SP7. :thumbsup:

3. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

And I always thought it gave me such a sophisticated look... :D

upload_2021-6-23_17-3-1.jpeg

Quick somebody fill me in, is the 'clipboard hold' now considered horribly archaic? :p

RazzNuts likes this.
  4. RazzNuts

Spot on regarding avoiding the imminent second thought, but I did miss the SGO2 deal last week, and now its price came back to normal.. hehe

Ha, clipboards (and bunch of other <= 10 inch tablets) are slim and elegant, SP7 on the other hand... Also I don't have large hand, so that isn' helping my toddler image.

Archaic? I think it's a bit of hipster with the rise of Kindle and iPad as eReader.. Just go to your local Starbucks (pre-pandemic, ofc)

5. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

, you mean like the Go 2 :p. Okay okay I will take my leave.. :oops:

RazzNuts likes this.
  6. RazzNuts

Your taunting works, so I ordered and got my SGO2 today.:vbbiggrin: I now can compare side by side.

Sure enough SGO2 form factor as you said is superior for one-handed use. The screen being smaller does not get in my way as I thought. Things are readable and clickable just fine!

So far I'm getting more and more convinced that I should return the SP7. I just need to get a feel of the overall performance difference. Unfortunately, so far compared to SP7, SGO2 is predictably less snappy, gets hots faster, and offers less battery life.

After all they are both priced the same, I'd like to be sure that SGO2 is a long-term justified 'downgrade' from Core i5/Iris and faster SSD. I don't wish it to have limited usefulness after 2-3 years. It happened with my Dell Venue Pro 8..

Last edited: Jun 25, 2021
    daddyfish likes this.
  7. dellaster

dellaster “Content Consuming Child” Senior Member

@RazzNuts - keep in mind that it takes a day or two for the OS to settle down on a Windows device. All that indexing and stuff. I was just playing a game on mine for a couple hours and it didn’t get especially hot. Granted, it was an adventure type of game, not a shooter or other action game, but still.

8. RazzNuts

Yeah that is taken into account, both devices are given the same amount of time to "settle" so to say. :D

I will work with both devices alternatively over the weekend (pdf annotation, notetaking, and web browsing). That should give me realistic comparison.

9. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

, what I do is with Task Manager I toggle 'hide when minimized' and make the icon visible in the bottom right of the taskbar since it shows how much cpu is currently used and from that you can practically see what apps really drain battery life.

It also feels like undervolting with Throttlestop makes a noticeable impact (-60.5 mV for cpu), but I do not how long MS Surface will keep supporting this.

Stuff like tablet mode & battery mode (do prevent update/index processes when on battery) should also helps (but to a less degree) and with Edge browser (and maybe others) you can set how long it takes before a page gets put to sleep.

RazzNuts likes this.
  10. RazzNuts

SP7 so far still leads the battery and heat efficiency race.

I noticed the price I got is the all-2 years low.As of yday it went up to 800 EUR. I suspect it will stay like that until SP8 is out or the launch is imminent.

On a side note, Netflix has this weird wrong aspect ratio (squished vertically) for 4K contents. Both in the app and Edge browser.

Anyone has a fix?

Last edited: Jun 26, 2021