Surface Pro 7 Discussion Thread (October 2019)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

, I found Surface to have little bloatware compared to other W10 laptop brands (there is a of course still stuff like xbox but you can uninstall that).

Few other tips:
    - I prefer Microsoft Edge as browser so far for the Go 2 for better battery life and decent touch. As browser addon I also use Ublock Origin (and if you want to read in the dark 'Dark Reader' is convenient too).
    - Really like the Surface pen (2017, bought 2nd handed) for it because of the magnets. I use the plastic tip (more durable) from MS pen tip set. Note that if you buy an used pe you likely need to replace tip to fix drawing issues. Or an alternative pen there is the new version of the Renaisser Stylus with some additional features.
    - Would recommend to put a glass screen protector on your Surface.
    - If you want to use your Surface next to your main device stuff like Mouse Without Borders or Multiplicity is very handy.
    - I add to additional touch gestures to the browser by using an app called GestureSign (free from MS Store); 3 fingers to toggle full screen and 3 finger swipe down to close a tab. I also use 4 finger swipe down to close an app.

RazzNuts likes this.
  2. RazzNuts

RazzNuts Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks for the tips. First impression is a bit underwhelming (but definitely not bad). Slight lag/unresponsive here and there when started out of the box.

The screen faintly flickers with certain background at low brigthness (PWM?) My already tired eyes seem to confirm..

The rest are expected, No bloatware, Hello is flawless, general performance is snappy under load, decent build quality. (I compared it with HP Elitebook/Zbook and Fujitsu, which I think is pretty high bar).

Right now, it's downloading Bazillion of updates..

Unfortunately, it appears to be too big and hot for my use. My wrist/arm/neck gonna kill me if I use this as vertical reading/one handed use device. :(

daddyfish likes this.
  3. daddyfish

, flickering can also be related to something from Intel (something related to brightness changing when switching apps or backgrounds, can be turned off but might need some effort).
    Initial lag (/high cpu usage) could be related to Windows still indexing files for search.
    As a wrist tablet it is on the heavy- and big side lol, can you return it? (ps even the Pro X will be too clumsy for that, the Go 2 m3 is the only W10 device I know that might be suited for that while still being snappy for daily tasks to light/slightly heavy work).

RazzNuts likes this.
  4. RazzNuts

Where can I read about this flicker, after all updates finished I seem to not able to reproduce it, good news?

the initial lag is not that significant, I just chalk it up as "windows problem".

I can return it, that's why I dared to order this. I will cool my head down for 1-2 days and decide if I keep or return this.

Yup, my first post in this thread was asking if Go is the better choice, and now it seems to be the case. (The only wildcard is just long term performance). To make the situation worse, the Go 2 M3 is priced the same as this SP7 Pro.

Money-wise it's does not make too much sense. Then again I should listen to my wrist and lap. Haha

5. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Price and technology are NEVER rational nor understandable. Businesses are apparently buying boatloads of SG2 devices while Surface Pro 7 (so similar to Surface Pro 4 that it is hard to tell) are languishing in the inventory bin. For all the sanctimonious talk by Microsoft, Apple, and all the rest, they are NOT there to make your life better, they are there to make profits. If it benefits you in any way then that is a collateral benefit and makes them crow a little more. Look at the Surface connector - surpassed by the Thunderbolt 3 then Thunderbolt 4 connectors long ago - but business still uses their dumb hubs and MS makes a little additional profit off a proprietary power supply.

Boy, did somebody wake up grouchy this morning or what...:cool:

6. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

There isn't any real bloat, it's just that I'm insane and want EVERY SINGLE scrap of space returned to me. Disk cleanup is your friend, but we all know that stuff stays behind as you move through the WIN 10 builds.

I bought the MS Dial. Used it for a day and then wondered if I'd ever use it again.

You could consider using your HOSTS file to block odd adverts, instead of an add-in or application. From here:
    https://someonewhocares.org/hosts/hosts

"Slight lag/unresponsive here and there when started out of the box."
    A lot happens when a system is fresh out of the box. As you now know, it settles down after a while.

7. RazzNuts

ah naturally I mean making sense for my wallet. it's obvious MS wants to get rid of SP7 Pro stocks before SGO2 stocks for various profit-oriented/strategic reasons, but as far as I know I get a more powerful device with bigger screen, more ports, and better CPU for the same amount of money.

And that's clouding my judgement about what actually matters (the ergonomy for my use case), I'm just thinking out loud.

Yeah, it's settling down nicely now. I have router-level ad/tracker block, so in general I'm fine :) tnx for the tips.

8. daddyfish

, the Pro 7 is also older which also probably helps a bit for sales and the design is slightly dated compared to the Go 2. But yeah it does not make much sense from that perspective.

Ps: Does it need to be a wrist tablet? You could also go for a belt, or even a satchel :rolleyes:.

9. RazzNuts

Yeah, then again Core M3 is also not the newest CPU, but it is true SP7 is 1.5 years old at this point.

LMAO, I'm not gonna mount it on my wrist. I mean one-handed use, as the other hand is occupied for touch navigation and pen. (Nothing else I promise).

10. daddyfish

, yeah I meant handstrap not wrist :vboops: (though it would be hilarious in public with a big tablet like the Surface Pro).
    Personally I never tried a tablet with a handstrap. Instead with my Pro 1 I remember letting it rest partly against my arm or middle or tried to hold it with 2 arms and thumb type most of the time (though that does not help much if you want to use the pen and it was unpleasant using it for longer periods of time in contrary to my Go 2...).