Surface Pro 7 Discussion Thread (October 2019)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

Wait it's now Iris Pro gpu?

2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I think Iris Plus is only on the Ice Lake chips, not the Comet Lake, correct? Is it confirmed which chip is in the 7?

Edit: NotebookCheck states it’s up to Core i7-1065G7 which does have Iris Plus graphics. So maybe that’s where the “two times performance” came from? Graphics performance?

3. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Anyone know if it can charge via usb-c port? Can't find any mention of that anywhere.

4. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

Only the weight of the i7 is higher (1.74 lbs, compared to the i3/i5's 1.70 lbs), which is also the case with the Surface Pro 6 (the i7 is 1.73 lbs. and the i5 is 1.70 lbs.) due to the added weight of the fan. I imagine the same is true here.

5. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It probably will....but only from high powered USB-C Chargers. Much like the Surface Go, I wouldn't count on any phone USB-C charger to charge it at all. (cough, Samsung chargers)

6. darkmagistric

Good catch....that gives me hope it will still be fanless.....but I'll definitely be sitting the Pro 7 out. I've been debating a new device purchase....and was waiting for today hoping Microsoft can steal me back. Honestly.....even though the CPU bump is nice...it's unnecessary for my uses. Now had the Pro 7 had Thunderbolt 3 support or a newer tricked out Pen......I would have went all in for the i5/16GB model and traded in my Pro 5 and Go towards it.....but.....I have decided to go with getting an HP ZBook x2 instead. Kind of wanted that for awhile anyway. I'll hold onto my Pro 5 as backup for now....and hopefully the Pro 8 will be worthy of an update. Or I could trade them in over the course of the years towards the Surface X, Neo, or Duo....all of which look way more interesting then the boring Pro.

7. cbutters

cbutters Scribbler - Standard Member

If I was actually biting; I'd be pretty excited as well about the Pro 7; they brought back iris graphics which should be pretty powerful at this point. Graphics should be almost twice as good as Pro 6 which were already pretty decent:
    https://www.anandtech.com/show/14664/testing-intel-ice-lake-10nm/8

I just won't do it because I've invested in an external GPU and use it with the X1 Tablet 3rd Gen; and it is awesome. I don't use it a TON; but when I need it It is there and isn't something I'm willing to give up; if only Microsoft would have thrown us a bone here.

JoeS likes this.
  8. darkmagistric

I fully agree. 1 USB Type A & 1 USB Type C is really what the Pro 5 should have been. I've been entertaining doing some....creative mobile multi monitor setups.....The Zbook x2's far superior port selection really is what swayed my decision to skip the Pro 7.

9. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

So does the i5 have Iris Pro and the i7 have Iris Pro Plus?

10. cbutters

cbutters Scribbler - Standard Member

It is good news that i5 and i7 both have iris this time (past generations only the i7 had iris):

Intel® UHD Graphics (i3)
    Intel® Iris™ Plus Graphics (i5, i7)

The only difference between the i5 and i7 graphics is the frequency 1.05Ghz vs. 1.1Ghz (should be minimal performance difference if any)

I'd highly consider the i5 this generation. It has a ton of value this time with little gain moving to i7. (all you get basically is 200 more mhz and 2 more MB of cache) Although microsoft has it structured so if you need more than 256GB you have to get i7 anyways.

JoeS, bloodycape and excalibur1814 like this.