Surface Pro 7 Discussion Thread (October 2019)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

Windows 10 2004 finally showed up on my Pro 7 this morning. The installation was uneventful.

I wonder how long it will take for 20H2 to install...???

<<...And spoiler alert, those hoping for a Pro X type redesign are going to be very disappointed...>>

So, we won't even get to see the benefits of the Pro X engineering developments on the Pro 8? That seems short-sighted...

darkmagistric likes this.
  2. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It is time for a refresh. I mean, sure, I absolutely LOVE my Surface Pro 7 (15, 128Gb) but it's time to reduce the weight by a fly's wing and add TB3.7a release 12, version 4.b.

I was thinking, the other day (which hurt), that it might be great have an external GPU dock... but then I realised that I'd want one in a few rooms. By that point, I might as well just buy a Surface Book and I don't want one of those (again). I'd love MS to just release an SP8, with type cover, along with a solid keyboard like the Book has. One device to rule everything.

JoeS likes this.
  3. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Yup, long standing wish, and yet probably won't happen.. Why would you want an eGPU in many rooms? One for work, one for play, one for.. ??

4. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

What's the estimate for the SP8 to come out? Kind of want to see once the SP8 is out for 3 months if SP5 replacements are still a thing or SP6 becomes the replacement.

5. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

We've heard somewhat sketchy rumors of January 2021 right around CES. Allegedly just a spec bump with new intel chips sets TBA prior. No major physical redesign though possibly slightly larger 12.5 inch display in the same basic housing as the SP7

JoeS likes this.
  6. ZiZuM3D

ZiZuM3D Pen Pal - Newbie

I did a refresh install of Windows 10 on my SP7 yesterday and it runs much smoother than before. Of course I had to reinstall my old apps and programs but there's 1 problem that "resurfaced" since I purchased it earlier this year.

If I leave my surface on overnight, I'd wake up with a dead battery even though it was plugged in and charging the night before. Sometimes it'll stop charging and I wouldn't notice until the low battery notification pops up and I read this is due to the sleep/hibernation settings.

Has this issue been resolved and could someone link me to the solution? TIA.

7. excalibur1814

8. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member

excalibur1814 likes this.
  9. excalibur1814

Whistles a fine tune... walks off, takes Surface Pro with him.

:eek:

Bronsky likes this.