Surface Pro 7 Discussion Thread (October 2019)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

Where you on a SP5 & they gave you an SP7 or were you on the Sp7?

2. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

No, I bought a SP7 around November last year and it had a defective screen out of the box. I didn’t have time to take it in until only recently—and luckily I timed it when I did or I would now be having to snail mail it to Microsoft.

3. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I have to admit....a few weeks ago I was detailing my nefarious plot to engineer a calamity to befall my Pro 5.....in hopes of using my Surface Protection plan to.....ideally snag a Pro 7 or Pro 6.....but with the physical Microsoft Stores closed till further notice.....and my protection plan being up at the beginning of June........while I feel I would have a good chance that a physical Microsoft Store wouldn't have any Pro 5 stock left and thus replace it with a Pro 6 or Pro 7...........If by May the stores are still closed and I have to snail mail it to Microsoft Direct.......I don't think I would luck out nearly as much..........Microsoft corporate more certainly I'm sure would have no problem obtaining a Pro 5 to send back my way. It would seem my hubris in detailing my plot might prove to be my downfall at the hands of tech karma.

4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Karma can be a b**** or so they say, so caution is your best friend in this case. I guess the isolation and distancing are getting to me already, but I feel like we'll get "just two more weeks" on May Day.

darkmagistric likes this.
  5. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

If it makes you feel a little better, I have had the the same thought as you. Hopefully, we can stand six feet apart on this boat.

6. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

dstrauss likes this.
  7. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

There's a new thread on this topic - and I call BS on Microsoft's "explanation" - they are the ONLY OEM not supporting TB3, and this is just an excuse for protecting the Surface Connector. Worse yet, justifying non-replaceable/expandable RAM on the risk of freezing DRAM with liquid nitrogen to "steal" data - that's like saying we should shield the entire planet from the sun to avoid some folks getting severe sunburns. There are only two justifications for soldered RAM:
    1. save motherboard space in tightly confined laptops, and
    2. upsales - if you will ever want more than 4/8 gb, you better buy it now.

8. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Updates to Win 10 2004... 'Cortana isn't available in your region'.

Joy. Probably why updating on a SP7 is blocked. Opps. (I've read a few articles and I really cannot be bothered to fix it. If I add the U.S. Language I'll forever be haunted by the random appearances of the language bar thing)

P.s. Works fine on my desktop. Quite odd. (I've removed it and then installed the app. Nope)

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
  9. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

bloodycape, Steve S, JoeS and 2 others like this.
  10. ZiZuM3D

ZiZuM3D Pen Pal - Newbie

So I upgraded from my Asus transformer 3 pro to the SP7 and although it's not a huge upgrade in speed and performance, I'm light years happier and less stressed now that I own a Microsoft 2-in-1.

My asus transformer T304ua was an i7 7th gen and it is still running perfect to this day. The reason I had to put it down was because the internal fan began to spin off it's hinge and just grinds inside and makes the most unbearable noise, I got it to stop by putting a paperclip down the vent but not really ideal long term. The fan noise was the straw that broke the camel's back but other than that, the keyboard randomly disconnects, the mousepad jumps all over the screen and forced me to use a wireless mouse, the drivers are a nightmare to find and install and update, bluetooth headphones sound like arse (QC35ii) even with the most UTD drivers, battery life is about 2.5 hrs unplugged, and I've come to the conclusion that the asus customer service department is beyond incompetent. I intend to open it up at some point in the future and replace the fan but for now it's a paperweight.

3 years later, I upgraded to the SP7 i5 10th gen and so far everything is running smooth and perfectly. Only issue I'm experiencing is the Iris graphics updater constantly thinks it's out of date even though I install the 'latest' one every time it gives me a notification. The fan is silent and the back gets a little warm on moderate usage.

I got it a few weeks ago but do any SP7 owners have any advice on what issues to look out for? I've tried other forums and couldn't find much which I guess is a good thing. TIA.