Surface Pro 7 Discussion Thread (October 2019)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

PSA: Pro 7's display has been updated mid-life to LP123WQ212604

Just this last week, I went to my local Microsoft Store to get warranty replacement of my Surface Pro 7 due to defective hot spots that it has had on the display since I purchased it at launch last year. I got a brand new (non-refurbished) unit as my replacement and made a discovery: after years of Microsoft using the same panel part with the Surface Pro 5, Pro 6, and the initial batches of the Pro 7, the display panel part has now been updated from the LP123WQ112604 to the LP123WQ212604. It may be purely subjective but this display looks better than the initial Surface Pro 7's, including my father who also has a Surface Pro 7 (also with LP123WQ112604) that was purchased at launch. I believe it has a wider color gamut and deeper contrast, more on par with the deep contrast and rich Adobe RGB coverage of my Lenovo ThinkVision P27u-10 monitor. I am quite glad I waited to return my unit (honestly, I was busy with other obligations that prevented my returning it during the hectic holiday season, but still) because this display looks better to me.

EDIT: See here. The panel part number has changed. It was the LP123WQ112604 with the Surface Pro 5 and 6 and initially the Pro 7, which can be verified by searching online. See NotebookCheck here, here and here. I also know because I've had direct access to all of these models in some form. This statement from NotebookCheck from their Surface Pro 7 review says it all: "The Surface Pro 7 uses the exact same LG Philips LP123WQ112604 IPS panel as the Surface Pro 6 and Surface Pro 5." My Surface Pro 7, acquired freshly just this last week from the Microsoft Store, now uses the LP123WQ212604. You should be able to verify this in Device Manager with new Pro 7's, I imagine. I happened to notice the change since I use MadVR for post processing in video playback, which reports the display panel information of the display devices that are currently in use. Here's a screenshot:

https://i.ibb.co/k9705Lh/Capture.png

Last edited: Mar 9, 2020
  2. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Interesting.....I kind of wonder why they would do that though? Because if it was a significantly more color accurate/superior screen.....you'd think they would promote that feature more heavily along side a new product......like a Book 3 or Pro 8 advertised with a 95% Adobe RGB or something. Kind of like how they upgraded the Surface Book gen 1 in the middle of its life. But I think more likely it could be a snafu along the product line....with the corona virus kind of stiffling product/component production an all.

But my Pro 5 is due to have an unexpected accident before my Surface Protection ends in July.....I really just wanted the USB-C port....but a better screen makes me all the more hoping they'll be able to give me a Pro 7.

3. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Oh my, @Bronsky...what have you started? :eek:

sonichedgehog360 and Bronsky like this.
  4. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...I kind of wonder why they would do that though?..>>

It could be as simple as the supplier terminating production of the older screen in favor of the newer one. Or, as you suggest, COVID-19 may have disrupted production of the older screen and so Microsoft shifted to the newer screen out of necessity.

Most production changes are the result of practical issues like parts shortages or the availability of lower cost parts that meet (or exceed) the original specs or requirements...

5. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...my Pro 5 is due to have an unexpected accident...>>

From a variety of perspectives, I'm not sure it's very wise to put things like this into print.

Just sayin'...

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  6. darkmagistric

Its not illegal....I did pay for the 2 year protection plan.......and an 'accident' may not even be needed, given my micro-SD card slot stopped working month ago....could bring it in whenever I want....but..my delay is merely to improve the chance of me getting a Pro 7 or a Pro 6 instead of a Pro 6 or a Pro 5, since the longer I hold, the less likely they'll still have Pro 5 or 6 stock. I want the Pro 7, I'll settle for the Pro 6, but I would be pissed if I walk in june/july and they're all "Oh....we just so happen to have one last Pro 5 left". Only Karma would do me that dirty.

Bronsky likes this.
  7. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I think @Bronsky is selling these...

[​IMG]

8. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

Ouch! :)

9. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

I looked into it and the MS store told me that SP5 will get replaced by SP6 if they don't have any SP5 available not the SP7.

10. darkmagistric

That may be the stance.....for now.....but that could be different come June.....and that is precisely why I'm playing the waiting game. We're expected to get a refreshed Book 3 and Go 2 soon.....but I'm also holding out hope for maybe a Pro 8 update.....more in the same capacity as the Pro 3 was to the Pro 2......same internals, but new design. Every review of the Pro 7 knocks it for not having the Pro X design.....and given the decreased battery life/performance issues with the Pro 7.....a Pro 8 could be a well be in the cards. Microsoft has certainly been pricing the Pro 7 as such....they offered the $799 i5/8Gb/128GB with keyboard cover deal way earlier then they did with the Pro 5 or 6, and they even recently had a sale for that i5 model at $699 (without keyboard cover). There is also the matter of available stock and the Microsoft Stores themselves do have some leeway in bending certain policy rules. Like.....lets say come June....the Microsoft Store....having had to make stock room for the Book 3/Go 2.....is all out of Pro 5 stock.....and has limited Pro 6 stock.....like the higher capacity models with 8GB/256GB.....but still ample Pro 7 stock of the 8GB/128GB model.....that they'll have to clear out eventually for the Pro 8 whenever it hits. I think its quite likely in such scenarios......a Microsoft store employee could very well replace my Pro 5 with a Pro 7.