Surface Pro 7 Discussion Thread (October 2019)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Which makes me think I'm misunderstanding something...>>

...This was directly off the store literature which the staff freely shared with me...

2. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

Ice Lake is still noticeably faster than Skylake as the performance numbers above can attest. 800+ in Cinebench R15 is comparable to the 6700K so it is nothing to be sneezed at, let me tell you, for a 15W processor. As nice as the Surface Pro X is nice, I will be getting the Surface Pro 7 i7 model.

Besides, the pricing is incredibly fair as can be viewed now at B&H Photo Video. In fact, the i7 models actually appear to have dropped a lot. (EDIT: The one example I give appears to be a pricing error... and a good deal if they don't end up canceling it on me.) For example, the Black i7 16GB RAM 256GB SSD is just $1329.98, while the Pro 6 i7 16GB RAM 256GB SSD launched at $1,899.00. Meanwhile, the i5 128 GB model is at the same price as it was before. Check out the full pricing list below!

[​IMG]

Source:
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=surface pro 7

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
    JoeS likes this.
  3. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Huh. Well if they'd be talking about raw CPU performance that would be astounding. Maybe GPU performance? Which would point to Ice Lake after all. Curious to find out more.

4. sonichedgehog360

I just preordered my i7 16 GB 256 GB Surface Pro 7 bundle at B&H. From what I hear in the scuttlebutt about pricing, B&H may have made a pricing error so it could rise later so I snagged it while it was hot. The agent stated that if I purchased now and the price rose later, I was guaranteed to receive it at the original preorder price. Man, that 16GB RAM will come in handy, let me tell you.

upload_2019-10-2_14-32-36.png

Marty and JoeS like this.
  5. sonichedgehog360

The Surface Pro 7 just went live on the Microsoft Store. Comparing pricing, it appears that listing is a legitimate pricing error (or a launch offer?) at B&H Photo Video. At any rate, it costs $1499 at the Microsoft Store for the SKU I just ordered. Even with academic pricing thanks to my college attending sibling, it's still $1349.10, so I'm glad I didn't pass up on this bundle deal at B&H.

Microsoft Store product page:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/new-surface-pro-7/8n17j0m5zzqs

JoeS likes this.
  6. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

Is there a reason why battery life went down?

7. JoeS

Congrats! What makes this a bundle? What else is included other than the tablet?

8. sonichedgehog360

A type cover, by the looks of it. It looks like they mispriced that i7 black bundle, actually. The i5 256 GB bundle is priced the same which leads me to believe they messed up. The other bundles look like they are priced to the SKU's normal price with the type cover. I actually need a new cover since mine is getting a bit ragged so this is a huge win if they don't end up canceling it.

JoeS likes this.
  9. JoeS

(.. quietly chants “I do not need a new computer, I do not need a new computer")

bloodycape and sonichedgehog360 like this.
  10. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I read a report that the 10th Gen i5/i7 isn't as power efficient.....and I'd imagine coupled with the Iris Plus graphics.....something had to give.

I'm more concerned about if the i5 Model is still Fanless........going from a noisy Fan Pro 3 to a Silent Fanless Pro 5......you don't really wanna go back from that. The i7 Models were always still fanned.....and having the decreased battery life and better graphics in the i5 model would give me doubt if they could still make it fanless.