Surface Pro 7 Discussion Thread (October 2019)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. joe75

joe75 Pen Pal - Newbie

Sorry did not see it sooner.
    In Europe, especially in France so we have quite affordable internet data plans (Bouygues or Sosh(Orange),...)
    CALL+ data 4G LTE 50Go at 10€/months...sometimes less. Last year i was paying 3 euros/month for the 1st year.
    and i mostly used it to surf not play or streaming movies .not sure of download speed But it is enough to play 4K videos from YouTube if that answers or your question and of course it depends of the area.
    I sometimes switch device so i put this sim card in another device such as an android tablet (i can even make call with it)...

Also cloud computing could become quite affordable too, probably won't need thunderbolt either as long as i have a killer connection and a PC/tablet fast enough to decode steaming videos

dstrauss likes this.
  2. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

I had the last straw with confounded B&H, who has ended up delaying orders on their Surface Pro 7's for many of their SKUs. I got my order delayed first to November 3rd, then to the 6th, earlier this morning to the 10th, and now no date except for "weeks" more. Their excuse? The manufacturer... :rolleyes: hmm, though somehow everyone other competitor from Amazon and Costco to NewEgg and even their chief competitor Adorama has had zero issues with acquiring and maintaining adequate stock levels of all of the variants since release. One of B&H's earlier agents was more truthful with me, though, who confided to me that it was their "buyer" (I assume this is their supply chain management point person who is responsible over Surface products) who failed to keep on top of things. As a result of their incessant incompetence, I am going to kick them off to the wayside and buy the 256 GB i7 Surface Pro 7 at my local Best Buy tonight, who graciously offered to do a price match against my local (though a further drive for me) Microsoft Store's education discount.

excalibur1814 and Marty like this.
  3. ile

ile Scribbler - Standard Member

Hi,

are you still interested? I'm wondering as it's been so quiet here...

I am returning my SP7, only, but crucial reason: battery life is horrible! It drains at about 16 % per hour - that is insane! Brightness at around 30%, recommended battery mode, light Web browsing and pdf reading. This is a big FAIL. Sadly.

Otherwise, I had dome minor complaints (keyboard on surface dock does not load its profiles consistently and doesn't go in standby properly, monitor doesn't work above 60 hz consistently, some night mode/notification center bugs in Windows). But, that wasn't a dealbraker by any means.

I really wanted to love this thing. But that horrible battery life kills it for my use cases.

4. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@sonichedgehog360 . We have heard though not through official channels that some of the issues with battery life with new pro 7 and other 10th gen Core I systems may be due to firmware that's not fully up to date with the way the new 10th gen processors operate and not actually that they are more power hungry.

Awhile back if memory serves, Intel was actually touting improved power efficiency in these chips

Have you heard anything like that?

ile likes this.
  5. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The Gods of eBay are starting to smile at me. I want an i7 model for around £850. The i5 is at £750 right now.

Tempting.

6. ile

ile Scribbler - Standard Member

Hm, okay. Early-buyers problems then?

7. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

Installed an Asus RT-AX88U (802.11ax, WiFi6) router this afternoon and had a chance to compare download speeds between the Pro 7 (WiFi6) and the Pro X (WiFi5).

Pro7 download speeds were approximately 60% higher than the Pro X...

excalibur1814 likes this.
  8. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I couldn't help it!

i7, 16Gb ram, 256Gb storage, all for £900.

Yay. I'l be using it for mild video/audio work, small photo edits, daily work as an admin as well as possibly running Dolphin. Might even see how it copes with Defense Grid (PC game).

Goodbye my trusty SP6, i5.

Bronsky likes this.
  9. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Merry Early Christmas! :D

excalibur1814 likes this.
  10. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...I couldn't help it!..>>

...We know, we know. Sit down here with this ring of other people. Now repeat after me: "My name is @excalibur1814 and I am an addict..."