Surface Pro 7 Discussion Thread (October 2019)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

We haven't completed our testing yet on the SP7, but so far the results are very positive. The bumped Iris graphics are noticeable even when using everyday apps like office where everything is just a bit "crisper"

One thing that MS nailed that most companies are mediocre on is 4k video support over USBC- It is one of a very few systems we've tested that is 100% spec compliant and can run two 4k displays at 60hz. Very impressive!

sonichedgehog360, ile and JoeS like this.
  2. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Isn't that mostly because Intel only started supporting DP1.4 on IceLake? I would expect the only prior laptops able to do that would have been TB3 enabled.

Oh and another tidbit, they say it supports DP1.4a, meaning adaptive-sync. Please tell me there is VRR support on the SP7. ;) (fingers crossed)

3. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Interesting, and it isn't just the "seems snappier" effect? How could graphics performance make an app more 'crisp'? I honestly can't think of anything. Better screen refresh rate? Better color depth?

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  4. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

So, I'll take back the MS part of my "big cos. rip you off on storage" rant.

5. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yes and no. Properly implemented DP1.4a provides that capability. The keywords there are properly implemented. For whatever reason most of the systems we've come across that claim 1.4a only partially meet all of the requirements e.g supported resolutions, refresh rates, device enumeration, bus access etc.

For instance while Lenovos thinkpads are fully compliant most of their yogas fail in one or more areas. With HP, their elite books do, but their pavilions and spectres are hit and miss. With Dell their latitude line does but the Inspiron is hit or miss.

As to adaptive sync, we have gotten mixed results. I'm not sure where the fault lies when it doesn't work though I strongly suspect it's the display and not the SP7. We need more testing to accurately determine.

@JoeS what I meant by crispness I meant faster and not something like sharper and is mostly noticeable in the windows UI and app interfaces. For instance side by side between a SP6 and SP7 with things like the start menus its a smidge faster to appear and populate or things like rapidly cycling between active app windows. It's subtle but you can see it side by side. Is it enough to justify upgrading from a 6 to 7, no.

While I still think devices like the Pro X are the future, I'd say this is the best performing most solid surface pro yet. Now that I've said that, it would be my luck for there to be some major flaw in the 10th gen core I chipsets that we just haven't hit yet :)

PS: If you want to get an idea of how badly companies can screw up a display spec, just look at the TV world like over at Avforum.

PPS: Part of the problem is the lack of a certification body that actually tests this. e.g companies can put the set of chips that should be compliant in a device and say they are compatible without checking all the hardware and software interdependencies that actually deliver it.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
    sonichedgehog360, Marty and JoeS like this.
  6. ile

ile Scribbler - Standard Member

So, I've ordered my SP7, i5, 16 GB RAM :p It arrives on Wednesday according to Microsoft... I'll post some throttling testing then if you like.

Does anyone know about that blurry display problem described here https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/1378431-surface-pro-3-4-fuzzy-with-fhd-monitors

I've read about that for the first time and I l'm pretty shocked!! this destroys the ability to switch seamlessly between modes (desktop, Notebook, Tablet) - do you experience those problems as well?

And do you have any suggestions what miniDP-to-DP cable I should buy to work with the Surface Dock and an Asus PG278Q 144 Hz monitor?
    I'd at least like it to run at 1440p@120 Hz. Hope that works...

7. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

I noticed the silence in the room was getting a bit suffocating here so I thought I would break silence and update on the status of my order of my i7 Pro 7. B&H Photo Video has my order estimated to arrive at their facilities on November 3rd with fulfillment immediately following reception. With their two-day shipping, I would estimate mid-week next week (around November 6th) at the earliest for receiving my shiny, new Surface! Woot! Woot!

8. cbutters

cbutters Scribbler - Standard Member

Let us know what you think of your SP7!

I'm interested in the maximum sustainable power output in watts over like a 30 minute period on the fanless i5 while running something sustained and high load. If you need any help testing that I can point you in the right directions of applications that will let you do that.

excalibur1814 likes this.
  9. alaskajoel

alaskajoel Scribbler - Standard Member

Does anyone else with an i7 version experience fan pulsating behavior? It is extremely annoying in a quiet room. It sounds like the power is being applied and removed to the fan every half second or so. It's most prevelant at moderate power consumption or on the way up to full power usage or just after full power usage (as in when benchmarking). When going full speed, the fan stays on constantly as expected but when under only partial use this pulsating behavior is really annoying.

10. ile

ile Scribbler - Standard Member

I'll do that, I would have been interested in that as well. ;)
    I'll run Cinebench loops.
    For wattage info, this Intel Xtreme Utility is useful, right?

I haven't unboxed it yet, I'm going to do that tomorrow