Surface Pro 7 Discussion Thread (October 2019)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...I've also seen bursty loads have it peak at 50 watts!..>>

...Wow!

dstrauss and sonichedgehog360 like this.
  2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

3. cbutters

cbutters Scribbler - Standard Member

I can speak to these issues since I've been helping people on reddit with them;
    u/littleloversopolite Just barely got his machine and windows updates were running in the background; his machine wasn't really just "idle"
    u/gernug had his machine in max performance mode; which purposefully ramps up the fan speed for performance reasons. The Pro 7 actually has 3 fan modes; which can quiet the fan. u/gernug is now aware of this.
    u/b_to_the_rye was trying to charge his surface pro 7 without using an actual PD (Power Delivery) USB charger. This is the specified behavior. Yes... confusing for general consumers; but nothing is wrong with his device.

ile, sonichedgehog360 and Steve S like this.
  4. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

It "works" when a brand has what I would call "monopoly mindshare" in that though consumers have alternatives, most iPhone owners, IMO, would not consider an Android and so Apple is free to charge whatever it wants (I used to say, "within limits" but that no longer applies) for the desired configurations. Same with MS and the Surface products, though there are more direct substitutes. It's the power of brand supremacy which, in fairness, is in large part earned by creation of perception - and often reality - that Surface products, like Apple products, are superior in respects that matter most to users.

One thing it aint is cost-based pricing, which is irrelevant if users don't have option to buy/install the RAM/SSD they prefer. TL;Dr Master of the obvious, that be me!

5. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

You also forgot the fact that Apple conveniently forgot to include a microSD card slot so that their users never got any notions of cheap storage upgrades. It has worked so wonderfully, in fact, that many Android makers have gotten wind of it and are copying their "success." Even Microsoft's Surface Pro X tragically omits the microSD card slot and now in its place has a "user-upgradeable" SSD. Given the rarity of M.2 2230/30-mm PCIe SSDs, though, you will be hard-pressed to find one on the open market because they apparently are sold only to OEMs by what appears to be one sole manufacturer: Toshiba. So that trade or swap might not be what it's all cracked up to be.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
  6. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Such brilliant strategists, these trillion dollar bloodsuckers! So far I'm only aware of Apple, Google and MS precluding SD cards, MS just recently. Birds of a feather. Google doesn't even sell more than 128GB storage on the Pixel - the more to sell you cloud storage, with discontinuance of free hi-res photo storage. Of the 3, MS strikes me as having the least claim to a "value proposition.". Lots of alternatives to Surface's, even if they are pretty good products - sometimes, in some ways. IPhones and Pixels have "exclusivity" of OS/OS upgrades. You at least get something for the ransom you pay. Bottom line is, in big tech, there are very few brands with most of the mkt share. I hope Samsung at least doesn't start adopting these practices, but they have lost the headphone jack, and not for lack of space, but coincident w/first proprietary "air buds."

I own a Pixel, an iPad (easier to justify) and a Surface. Color me ashamed - especially for the Surface. You have to "vote" with your wallet. But 3 yrs of on-time OS upgrades (Google) or more (Apple) have to be reckoned with.

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  7. sonichedgehog360

Actually, I take back my comment about the Pro X. It appears you can source these Western Digital 2230 M.2 drives readily in up to 512GB capacity. And because they work in the Laptop 3, I imagine the Pro X should have no trouble, either. 90-some dollars for 512GB is chunk change which I'll gladly pay up for compared to Microsoft's second-mortgage-level storage upsales.
    Sources:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Surface/comments/dn2yxl/update_the_m2_2230_ssd_inside_the_surface_laptop/
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Surface/comments/dluatt/i_took_apart_my_surface_laptop_3/f4v1g5i/

Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
    JoeS likes this.
  8. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Right now I'm picturing an MS exec mumbling "..and that's why we can't have nice things." :p

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  9. metalsiren

metalsiren Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

i would love for someone to swap the drives and see if there is any issues on the SP7 and or the SPX

10. sonichedgehog360

The SP7 will be much more difficult since you have to remove the display to access the storage, and that storage is only non-soldered and removable on the "for Business" version; it's soldered BGA on the standard SP7. Only the SPX has direct access to the M.2 storage slot via a removable panel on the back.