Surface Pro 7 Discussion Thread (October 2019)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. instred

instred Pen Pal - Newbie

After all these years it is sad that the surface models don't start with 256GB storage and 8GB ram!

2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Unfortunately most all of the vendors do this (minimalist configurations to "appear" to be inexpensive), but $400 to go from 256gb to 512gb and $800 for 256gb to 1TB is Apple-esque robbery. Full retail on a 1TB Sasmung EVO 970 is $169 (on sale at Amazon - regularly a gargantuan $299).

Labor must be expensive as hell to swap out that 256gb for the 1tb...:rolleyes::mad:

Oh wait, Microsoft generally uses Toshiba, not Samsung - cheaper still...

ile, darkmagistric and JoeS like this.
  3. daddyfish

daddyfish Pen Pal - Newbie

Doesn't MS use a newer smaller type SSD which is more expensive (and apparently more efficient or something like that) or is that only for the SPX? edit-> BG4-ssd in new surface devices (also Surface Laptop etc)

Concerning the SSD upgrade prices, it seems to make it possible to offer entry variations relatively cheap. It probably also works well in luring people with low prices. :D (that is why the microsd slot is important, to effectively add storage for most use cases)

4. cbutters

cbutters Scribbler - Standard Member

"Oh well, I guess I don't mind being gouged on price if its subsidizing everyone else" - Said no red blooded american ever....

I don't think you are wrong though daddyfish.

5. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Seems to work for Apple. They have told us that the 256 GB iPhones and the 256GB air and pro are their best selling models

6. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

This is why I'm still waiting for a valid review of the i5 and i7 models. I don't 'need' 256Gb of space, which is what I have on my current SP6, as I'm only using 67Gb of space. 128Gb would be find for me (I also have a 250Gb Sandisk mSD card).

7. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

But that's NOT the question - at today's RETAIL prices for storage, it is obscene what some vendors (primarily Apple, Microsoft, and Dell) charge for upgrades.

8. metalsiren

metalsiren Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

not to mention apple's entry model most of the time is 64, I mean WTF (one of the biggest grips I have with Apple and others is the storage prices)

9. cbutters

Assuming my SP7 i7 gets here today; I'll be running my infamous throttling and performance tests on it tonight.

sonichedgehog360, Marty, ile and 3 others like this.
  10. cbutters

Some preliminary throttling results are up. I compared to the SP5 i7 and a SP6 analog (x1 Tablet 3rd gen w/ 8650U)

And of course the USB fan still works to pad the performance if it starts to throttle :)

The device can maintain 15 Watts on its own even in worst case scenario hours long sustained loads. However, with the fan you can get 25 Watts of power sustained load with no other tweaks at stock settings.

Also... Ice lake seems to have 33% more power per watt (in gpu related benchmarks).... so 15 watts on ice lake = ~20 watts equivalent performance on Kaby Lake.

Graphic related benchmarks are anywhere from 33%-75% more performance than Surface Pro 5 (i7) so far.

I've also seen bursty loads have it peak at 50 watts! Its a real beast!

I'm still running performance benchmarks... working on a followup video with lots of benchmarks; but so far results are very good!

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
    Marty, Steve S, bloodycape and 7 others like this.