Surface Pro 7 Discussion Thread (October 2019)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I think they're withholding the pen specs deliberately. I can't help but be reminded when they unveiled the New Surface Pro (5) with significant updates to the Surface Pen, Microsoft released all the Pen specs.....said it was the fastest pen in the world (in terms of polling and refresh.....allegedly)…and then the next month the Apple Pencil 2 was unveiled.....and the one spec Apple did reveal for it trumped the new Surface Pen. By doing the more Apple way of not releasing hard specs on the pen, they can avoid looking bad if something more advanced comes along.

However....it was confirmed (somewhere) that the new Pen is compatible with older Surface Devices....so it will work.....its just unclear how well it will work. The Pro 5-7 pen will work on a Pro 3 or 4, but it won't work as well as it does on the newer devices since the have the updated pixel sense chips. If we accept the new Surface Slim Pen....is ultimately the future of the Surface Pen down the line, it could very well be more powerful then the current pen.

2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

My bet is it is the same as the current pen, but the "redesign" is merely to fit the new form...

sonichedgehog360 and Marty like this.
  3. darkmagistric

While that is quite likely....I still like to hope they take advantage of the new form factor. As much as they were able to improve the pen performance with the 5th gen Pro....it was still a balancing act between performance and prolonging the battery life of the pen. I can attest my Pro 5 pen has managed off heavy usage with the same AAAA battery since I bought it a year ago (Can't say the same for either my Pro 3 or Pro 4 pens). With the silm pen.....any concern over prolonging the battery life is more or less a mute point now. They could now focus completely on performance.

also a personal hope....the new pen does look to have a significantly different back end eraser. As someone who is accustomed to Wacom backend eraser...I always found the Surface Pen eraser not as comfortable to use....or as accurate. Given how radically different the new eraser end looks....I'd have to imagine they tweaked it's functionally as well as its look. And if they're going to tweak the eraser, It would be folly not the give the pen itself a one over.

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

But it makes no sense to update the new kid on the block and not the one used by so many other SKU'S...

5. darkmagistric

Not true....the Surface Studio was tuned to the new pen before the Pro 5 was unveiled. Never underestimate the power of a firmware update.

And its only the new kid on the block for now. Given Microsofts past marketing of the Surface line.....Provided the Surface X isn't a complete flop.....I think its quite likely the upcoming Surface Pro 8, Book3, and Studio 3....might be given a Pro X style redesign and update. And given past precedent with Microsoft going from the Pro 2 to the Pro 3 in under a year.....and Microsoft typically bouncing between October and June for Surface hardware updates.....I think its quite possible we might get those refreshed as early as June 2020.

6. wataru

wataru Scribbler - Standard Member

To be fair, the SP6's designed capacity 45Wh charges to 49Wh when it's new (and it's the same result from the two SP6s that I received). Therefore, it's possible that the designed capacity does reduce in the SP7 :(, and I never liked the battery life in SP6 to begin with. My first unit's full charge capacity degraded from 49Wh to 37Wh in less than a year, i.e a 25% reduction. For some reason, I always felt that I can only get 3hrs of battery from it, which constantly competes with my ~4 year old iPhone SE to be the first one to die:rolleyes:o_O. It also seems that SP7 re-introduced the constant connected standby (instead of hibernation after 4 hours), maybe Microsoft and/or Intel has found the cure to the constant battery drain/hot bag issue that's plagued earlier devices when CS was introduced?

7. wataru

wataru Scribbler - Standard Member

Funny you mentioned that. My SP4 pen (that came with my 1st gen Studio) - its supposedly new battery died on its own without me ever using it after a year of dust collecting. Note to self never to put a battery in a pen if I don't plan to use it (I use a Pro 5 pen as my daily drive)

8. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

9. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

10. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yeah looking at the pricing this morning, they are following Apple again in a not good way. $300 to bump the storage from 128GB to 256? Sheesh

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
    dstrauss likes this.