Surface Pro 7 Discussion Thread (October 2019)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So the reviews of the SP7 are somewhat all over the place. And I think the key problem with most reviews is that they review it with an eye toward what they want versus who might be the target market. Windows Central does as well though in the case they are talking about the new 15 inch surface laptop. My take is that it's a high quality cost effective alternative to the MacBook Pro 15. Actually lighter weight, similar size and form factor and it runs Windows.

Not for me as I find 15 inches too big for a portable but perfect for my father to replace an aging desktop with something he can move around the house occasionally or take on the back porch.

https://www.windowscentral.com/surface-laptop-3

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Take this with a huge grain of salt, but if your SP4 will hang on until user experience can hit the boards between now and Black Friday, you might hold out even for a Surface Pro X?

3. ile

ile Scribbler - Standard Member

Okay, I'll ignore that engadget review as it's obviously garbage, but I really dislike the other review's reports about worse battery life compared to SP6. Considering Geekbench 5 I assume they are running the CPU at higher clock speeds than the SP6. I would've preferred the 18%-ish IPC improvement of Ice Lake while maintaining the same battery life, for sure.

Questions remaining:
    • Which power setting (high performance presumably?) have the reviewers used? How do the others behave?
    • Can I use the instant-on feature together with self-configured windows power plans (e. g. setting max CPU limit to 99%, which might improve battery life significantly?)
    That's what Panos meant when he said "Surface Pro 7 is about performance (...)" - I really start hating this SPX as the original SP line is what I think is the perfect device of the future. This SPX focus is very sad imho....
    Still, the SP7 comes closer to perfection that anything before, so we'll the when they have a good deal for i5/16GB... ^^

4. desertlap

I'd wait for somebody like AnandTech and even maybe PC Mag to test battery life before judging. I suspect that the ones that are getting the poorer numbers are running benchmarks a lot which given the higher performance envelope of the new chips will run the benchmarks faster , but at the expense of battery life.

In our admittedly us specific testing so far, the SP6 and SP7 are almost dead even. Our testing consists of our techs doing the identical tasks including interfacing quite a bit with our own devices side by side, averaging over a 5 day period. For us at least that does give real world battery figures.

eg. Hard use 6.5 hours, medium use 8.5 hours, light use 10.25 hours

5. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

@desertlap : Did think to ask your rep about any improvements to the Surface Pen (either Pro 7 or, more likely, the new Slim Pen)? I assume that nothing has changed on the Pro pen, but the marketing materials talk about the Slim Pen with different adjectives. It sounds like the pressure tranducer may have been changed... maybe...???

6. desertlap

We did and got somewhat of a non-answer answer. They said the pen was "completely" redesigned with new chip and sensor tech, but went in to no detail as to what that actually means.

I also think that's part of why there aren't any pro x devices on display yet. They told us when they gave us a brief look at it that neither the hardware or software were in final form yet so we couldn't test.

I also have a friend that's a regional manager for Best Buy and he told me they have the pro-x but MS has told them to hold on putting them on display, pending final software and firmware.

7. ile

ile Scribbler - Standard Member

And I start wondering if I may even like this fire-colored type cover in the end. Until now I've found it to look horrible, but on the Windows Central Review, it looks somehow stylish. Don't know what I should think now :D

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
  8. cbutters

cbutters Scribbler - Standard Member

I went to see the new Type covers in person (I had preordered the Ice Blue). I found the Ice blue in person to be way too faded and green hued for my liking and I cancelled my preorder for it in disgust. The red however looks amazing even in person! Its not a color I personally am interested in; but you'd be quite happy with it if you want that color scheme.

ile likes this.
  9. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...I also have a friend that's a regional manager for Best Buy and he told me they have the pro-x but MS has told them to hold on putting them on display...>>

...My Best Buy sez the Pro X will be on display on the 28th.

<<...I start wondering if I may even like this fire-colored type cover in the end. Until now I've found it to look horrible...>>

...No accounting for taste, of course, but I find the new "red" Type Cover to be more the color of chili powder; sort of orange with a tint of red. I really don't like it. By contrast, I find the "Ice Blue" Type Cover to be more attractive; blue with an strong overtone of white...

<<...They said the pen was "completely" redesigned with new chip and sensor tech...>>

...I'm hoping that the Slim Pen is finally going to be the pen handling (IAF & pressure curve) improvement that we've been waiting for. Might not (probably won't) fix the 45° "jaggles," though...

ile likes this.
  10. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Rubino ran a PCMark "Modern Productivity" battery test and reported a 20% drop in battery life (from 10hrs to 8hrs) @9:12:

I wonder if the wildly differing battery life reports has to do with new (aggressive) power algorithms in the 10th-gen chipsets that may or may not be kicking in, depending on detected workload.