Surface Pro 7 Discussion Thread (October 2019)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I find it difficult to accept a negative, for a machine that you can buy today, when compared to a machine that hasn't been released yet.

Also:
    "Speaking of battery life, I haven’t seen any major improvements this generation. On average I’d get around 7 to 8 hours of battery life using a mix of apps like Chrome, Word, Discord, Twitter, Spotify, and more. If I watched more web video, or graphically intensive apps / web pages then this could drop to around 6 hours."

Yeah, okay, don't actually run any tests. Just use the device, not taking into account any other aspect such as clock speed. I love reviews. They make me smile. I'm waiting for one review in particular!

2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Mr. Warren is just a slow learner...

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  3. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

Another question would be has Engadget retested the other devices under identical conditions since they ran these battery life tests because something as simple as OS and application changes could lead to a sharp decrease in battery life across all devices. Based on what I am seeing so far, I do not doubt there is a decrease in battery life, but Engadget's findings are far too extreme of a drop (almost 50% less, really?) compared to other product lines (such as the Dell XPS 13) that have made the switch to 10th Gen Ice Lake. I would recommend not taking Engadget and these journalist-authored reviews too seriously since they are prone to error due to their lack in technical understanding and instead wait for NotebookCheck's review to drop, which will be far more exacting and precise.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
    ile, excalibur1814 and JoeS like this.
  4. jangaru

jangaru Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi all,

I am on the market for an upgrade on my SP4. Although I have been holding out for TB, I think I can enjoy a year of a new Surface then decide next year whether another upgrade is worthwhile. In any case, I am stuck between the SP6 and SP7. My priorities are high RAM and great battery life. The thing is that for the SP6 I would need to get the more expensive i7 model to get the high RAM whereas with the SP7 I can get a more reasonable i5 model with 16GB RAM. Any advice especially if the SP6 has double the battery life?

I need both since my law school notes in OneNote like to take up 5GB RAM and high CPU usage.

Attached Files:

5. sonichedgehog360

Yeah, unfortunately mine will not be shipping until Wednesday at the earliest because B&H is closed for the Festival of Tabernacles through the 22nd. I'll be calling them up first thing Wednesday so I can triple check that everything is still in motion for the fulfillment of my order given the discount they gave me on the i7 model and all.

6. cbutters

cbutters Scribbler - Standard Member

I wonder if they've just limited the top charging capacity of the batteries to not wear out the batteries as much. (I've seen way too many surfaces bulging out from battery exhaustion.) The other bonus is you can make "quick charge" look faster if there is less battery capacity to fill because you consider a true battery 90% (based on voltage) as 100% in the BMS software.

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  7. sonichedgehog360

Like I said above, I wouldn't take Engadget's review all too seriously because other companies who have moved their devices from Whiskey Lake to Ice Lake never saw a halving in battery life. At most, expect maybe a 1-2 hour drop in battery life but not half like Engadget is misreporting. Windows Central appears to have conducted a more controlled testing scenario and, as a result, they have a more insightful answer:
    Source:
    https://www.windowscentral.com/surface-pro-7

JoeS likes this.
  8. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Yeah that's better. Next improvement, they should list some measure of the screen brightness used. It's tricky, but some indication of whether they set the system to minimum brightness would be helpful.

If they want to go all out, they can make a nice table with brightness and workload combinations. :) I once analyzed my ThinkPad Yoga 12, and although it took a little work, it's a simple test and does give a reasonable sense of battery life.

ile likes this.
  9. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member

, if you don't mind a slight decrease in performance you can limit the max cpu speed in Windows Power Plan when not plugged in. Especially for the SP6/7 since both are fast and performance is not your top priority, I think the extra battery life will benefit you more (as an additional bonus the Surface stays cool). The SP5 might also be interesting for you if you can get it with a good discount since it had a battery life upgrade compared to the SP4.

ile likes this.
  10. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Engadget as usual gets it wrong. Now that I can speak publicly about it, the SP7 gets about the same battery life as the SP6 in our tests. Ok trade off as far as I'm concerned considering there is a nice bump in overall speed.

PS: The USBC-video support is top tier. The only thing better would be TB3 support.