Surface Pro 7 Discussion Thread (October 2019)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

"battery life inferior to the pro 6"

-To be confirmed? MS changed their battery test so we're (I'm) not certain if it DOES have inferior battery life.

2. cbutters

cbutters Scribbler - Standard Member

You are right... although someone in europe received theirs early and were able to confirm the battery went from 45 Wh to 43.2 Wh "design capacity". However their batterycfg report reported 47.7 Wh so they got a nice battery in theirs?
    https://imgur.com/a/Z5SOSBo

Also battery size doesn't tell the whole story as the new nm process on the CPU could help; but the extra EUs on the graphics side could hurt.... so who knows. I'm guessing it is going to be quite similar to last gen in the end.

excalibur1814 likes this.
  3. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

What carrier are you using with the LTE model? How would you describe the performance you are getting on their network?

5. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

6. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'm glad they talked about the quick charge feature and that instant on seems to work reliably now.

One thing they didn't go in to detail is that quick charge does cause the SP7 to heat up quite a bit. Likely not a problem normally but I've seen people with the SP6 in a sleeve just open the sleeve to charge it. Not a good idea with the new SP7

7. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Interesting how far we've come in the media perception of tablet PCs. The SP7 review starts with,

"I’ve kind of fallen in love with the Surface Pro. After debating its “lapability,” its lack of USB-C ports, and its staid design, I’ve used the Surface Pro 6 on and off as a regular laptop for nearly 12 months now. I’ve been trying to think of why I’ve picked the Surface Pro over the many other laptops I’ve also been testing, and it comes down to a unique mix of hardware. It’s small and light enough to slip into a variety of bags when I travel, and I can transform it into different modes so I can work on trains, planes, and everywhere else."

Interesting how he can't quite come to terms with how much he likes the tablet PC form factor, but it's clearly dawning on him how useful and ultimately compelling it is.

Now compare this with the conclusion of the Verge's SP1 review from 6 years ago,

"Even a well-executed Surface still doesn't work for me, and I'd bet it doesn't work for most other people either. It's really tough to use on anything but a desk, and the wide, 16:9 aspect ratio pretty severely limits its usefulness as a tablet anyway. It's too big, too fat, and too reliant on its power cable to be a competitive tablet, and it's too immutable to do everything a laptop needs to do. In its quest to be both, the Surface is really neither. It's supposed to be freeing, but it just feels limiting."

Nearly the exact opposite in terms of remarks on functionality and overall affection for the device.

There is progress, people. Tablet PCs have come of age. :)

Steve S, daddyfish and JoeS like this.
  8. cbutters

I never got an email from microsoft; but I just saw my tracking in fedex delivery manager if anyone is waiting on information for theirs.

alaskajoel and sonichedgehog360 like this.
  9. cbutters

To be fair.... the Surface Pro 1 did have issues of usability and many didn't like the 16:9 aspect ratio. I didn't personally own one; but I hear battery life was pretty garbage as well.
    It wasn't until the Surface Pro 3 that we got the 3:2 screen and it really came into its own..... Although I bet the verge trashed on the Surface Pro 3 as well. :)

JoeS likes this.
  10. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

You know, when they say "On our standard test, the Surface Pro 7 barely lasted eight hours, while the Pro 6 and other tablet-hybrids clocked more than 15 hours." it would be REALLY helpful it they would specify what the standard test does..

cbutters and excalibur1814 like this.