Surface Pro 7 Discussion Thread (October 2019)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

My brain looks at that picture and just states, "Beautiful!"

Bu then, I think that there's space for slightly larger batteries. Then I begin to wonder why NO windows device has 2x mSD slots.

2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

1. I recall hearing an explanation from Apple one time that you just can't fill up all the available spaec with battery, which is the densest block for airflow.
    2. I do agree on the SD card slot, but would do one full size rather than 2 micro.

3. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I was just thinking, which really, really hurt: No company, not one, should really be allowed to sell a pre-order item, to consumers, without a reasonable amount of 'reviews'.

...Yeah, I'm annoyed as I want to see reviews and I'm throwing my dummy all over the place.

ile likes this.
  4. cbutters

cbutters Scribbler - Standard Member

That concept you just framed literally gave me chills as I read it... lol

In other news... I caved on my promises of not getting a Pro7 because of the lack of thunderbolt... I just can't resist playing around with the fancy 64 EU iris integrated graphics as I am apparently a sucker for punishment. Ordered a 512GB Black i7. FML.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
  5. kurt corbin

kurt corbin Scribbler - Standard Member

Dear Sonic, Can you tell me what the SP7 USBC is missing compared to USB4?

6. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

Sure! Thunderbolt 3. So you can't connect to an eGPU enclosure or any other Thunderbolt 3 device.

7. kurt corbin

kurt corbin Scribbler - Standard Member

Oh. I was just about ready to give up the eGPU, but thanks for the reminder that there are other TB3 devices...like displays, I guess, and docks...what else?

8. cbutters

cbutters Scribbler - Standard Member

High performance network cards; certain firewire devices; including some older devices that wouldn't work otherwise; 20GBps throughput is a big piece. And of course the big ones are like you mentioned; eGPU and docks.

9. daddyfish

daddyfish Pen Pal - Newbie

, I read that usb4 will be a big upgrade when connecting to displays in the sense that TB3 is not really needed anymore (was perhaps Windows Central or some other site), so that leaves eGPU's and some docks. eGPU's are expensive and kindy clumsy in my opinion, so is very niche I think. Docks I am not sure about.

10. joe75

joe75 Pen Pal - Newbie

Time to look at those 2-in 1, no LTE and no thunderbolt 3, no redesigned screen with less bezel and battery life inferior to the pro 6...i think i could just as well
    keep my Galaxy Book 12 8G/256 SSD LTE for another year.
    I wanted to use the trade in program for one of the new surface but i am less and less conviced by Pro X software and hardware except the design that is nice.. and i would have liked the possibility to add an egpu to the Pro 7.