Surface Pro 7+ Discussion Thread (January 2021)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by sonichedgehog360, Jan 11, 2021.

1. Wiz

Wiz Pen Pal - Newbie

Nope.. Nobody has..

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk

daddyfish likes this.
  2. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

We are up to 20 units internally. a mix mostly of i5 systems as well as over 150 in our user base again with the large majority being i5 and no issues.

We did have one customer get one unit that overheated during initial setup, to the point that it permanently bricked itself.

Obviously defective and MS quickly replaced it without issue.

While they are much rarer now, it's still true that industry wide, typically 1-2% of systems will have issues in the first 90 days. The surface line, Surface Pro 4 notwithstanding is actually better than average with a defective rate of around 0.6% internally and in our customer base.

One thing that still does occasionally happen to all of the OEMs is a bad production run, and that is almost certainly the root explanation where some folks get more than one bad unit, simply because they are getting them from the same vendor, and thus likely from the same shipment.

3. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Decided to run Real temp: (Surface Connected to a Surface Dock 2)

Real Temp GT 7.30
    49c - Sitting around, doing nothing, on the desktop. (Best Performance selected)
    51c+- - Playing a Youtube video - External display
    57c+- - Playing two Youtube videos from Opera, 20 webpages/tabs open.
    51c+- - As above (Better performance selected)
    65c+- - As above (Better performance selected) but also rendering a 1080p video with Corel VS
    Same on display or external display

My unit DOES get warm to the touch. Sure, it will as there's no fan. Not worried.

It's still almost sleeping at 16% cpu utilisation.

sonichedgehog360 and daddyfish like this.
  4. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

, that is quite cool. My Go 2 gets up to 70 °C (cpu) according to Throttlestop when gaming (/stressing it for longer periods). I am not an expert on this but it seems save temperatures to me when you also read stuff that eg (Intel) Macbook Pro's rose to 100 °C.

excalibur1814 likes this.
  5. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Sold the 7+. £700. New unit, 6 months left on the warranty and a 1tb drive. Would have liked £850 but that's a lot of cash. The lesson for me is: Don't buy new. Wait. I won't be buying the Surface Pro 8 new and I WON'T be spending a chunk of cash on the SSD (I need an absolute max of 500Gb. 256Gb being standard.)

P.s. Minus the eBay charge of £89.58.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2021
    daddyfish likes this.
  6. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

, I either tend to do that or buy at a store which offers really good warranty (but that might be more an Europe thing? The physical distances tend to be smaller here so that helps a bit when you need to return something).

excalibur1814 likes this.
  7. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

I just got some 1TB Western Digital SN530's for $120 (lowest accepted offer price) a pop on eBay from a reputable seller, a few for family members who have the Pro 7+ preordered as well as my preordered Steam Deck. Curiosity bit me hard since the markings were identical to the ones found in iFixIt's teardown of the Xbox Series X. So the wheels already were turning in my head and wanting to get answers and answers fast, I took a look in HWiNFO64 and the results were astounding! Indeed, it turns out as I searched that these are not the standard SN530's that you might think they are but they are actually the custom Microsoft Xbox Series version that Western Digital was contracted to manufacture. That means super speedy PCIe 4.0 which, by the way, the Surface Pro 7+ fully supports with its 11th Gen Tiger Lake-U mobile processor. Rumor has it that the huge influx of SN530's on eBay right now is because they are all Xbox Series pulls. So you arguably get the world's fastest 2230 NVMe storage solution at a deep discount:

[​IMG]

EDIT: Also confirmed with the seller that they are Xbox Series X pulls.

upload_2021-7-21_14-57-51.png

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
    Steve S, excalibur1814, Marty and 2 others like this.
  8. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

Steve S likes this.
  9. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  10. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

With the SP8 out now is there any good sales or refurb deals on the 7+? Thinking about trading my SP5 for one as I am starting to hit the 4gb ram limit. I take the SP5 keyboard will work on the 7+ or did the thicker size change something?