Surface Pro 7+ Discussion Thread (January 2021)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by sonichedgehog360, Jan 11, 2021.

1. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

"The part that plugs into the computer, if not fully straight, will cause the computer to get crazy hot while charging. This seems to be a design flaw. I'm not talking about the port itself, rather the cable going into the hard plastic part. If it isn't in the right position, your computer will take forever to charge AND get crazy hot. I had to buy several off-brand chargers as a remedy.

Replacing the charger, full brick and cable, will not fix the issue. It is a design flaw because of how the cable bends going into the charging port."

Seems like someone hasn't been nice to their charger!!! I might read all 12 pages later. Mine is the i5. As above, as soon as it comes to charging via USB C, what's the likely-hood of cheap chargers? I bought one, which is a Satechi 108W Pro USB-C PD Desktop Charger. Cost a bit, but it will provide the correct charge. Other than that, I'm using a Surface Dock 2. (Cheap Surface chargers cause screen issues and weird touch screen thingies-ma-job).

P.s. There's over 200+ pages on the GoPro 9 forum, for popping audio. Then there's another 12 pages for freezing issues. The GoPro 9 IS a device that's close to needing a recall. Surface Pro 6/7? Not so much.

P.P.s. Have you contacted Microsoft?

sonichedgehog360 and daddyfish like this.
  2. excalibur1814

...and after posting all of that... .

Shutdown Windows. Went away for a bit, then returned to book the gym. Tapped the power button, the logo appears, then a black screen. Nothing. Tap the power button, logo, black screen. Try to enter the UEFI to see if it's the hard drive, nope. Switches the SSD to the original 128Gb, nope. The 1Tb drive is fine as I'm moving files from it now, via the usb caddy thingy-job.

Oh.

My concern is as follows: Do I keep the replacement and have it fail again just after the warranty expires, or sell and drop to a cheap Pro 6? (2 hours later) I'm selling and dropping to a second hand Pro 7. Not willing to throw the money away. The pro 7+ was always treated with fond kindness and didn't even have one scratch. Them is da' breaks. Literally.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
  3. Name_XXX

Name_XXX Pen Pal - Newbie

Okay, so I have just bought SP7+ i5 version, and it has this charging issue...

4. excalibur1814

Are you using the included power adapter? Simple. Return it.

5. Name_XXX

Name_XXX Pen Pal - Newbie

I had this issue with my 4 (!) SP7/SP7+ devices. I have bought them in different stores. I think that there should be some reason.

6. excalibur1814

Is it your house/work sockets? :) Anyhow. Good luck with your issues. I'm out.

sonichedgehog360 and JoeS like this.
  7. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

This is not overheating. Boy, that comment section at the Microsoft Answers forum is littered with dozens of misinformed comments. One person, who thinks downloading CoreTemp suddenly makes him an engineer, is surprised his Surface runs 10 degrees hotter on AC power. No surprise, Sherlock! This is normal and natural expected behavior especially on the i5 which has no fan. The device is stepping up into a higher power state. Why? It no longer is on battery and therefore can run at full performance levels without concern for battery life. And higher power draw and higher performance means more energy expelled and more heat released. Mystery solved!

So yes, Surface naturally runs hotter on AC power if (1) you have a lot of heavy tasks running in the background and (2) it can clock up higher due to higher power provided from the power adapter. In fact, this is typical behavior of any ultra thin ultrabook or tablet PC. Change the power mode to normal instead of high or highest in the battery icon in the tool tray and you will then see the CPU heat and power drop by about 10 degrees and 10 watts.

I have seen these complaints before. To be brutally honest, it most often comes down to user error. Either it is from people buying the fanless i5 model expecting some sort of miracle. (Reality check: you will top out at ~10-12W power draw under sustained loads and it will run hotter than the fan-equipped i7 model.) Or it is from them using a poorly designed case that covers up and obstructs the vents on their Surfaces, turning their devices into hotboxes. (There are many $25+ military drop test certified cases on Amazon that fit into this category.)

I have a Surface Pro 7+, I used to have a Surface Pro 7, and two family members have a Surface Pro 7 and none of us have encountered these mysterious issues you share. Likewise, we have users here like @desertlap who deal with large-scale corporate deployments and they don’t see these issues. Something is awfully fishy here and your very short posts don’t provide any insight as to why this is the case. True, Surface will run a bit hotter under load with it plugged in but it is never close to alarmingly, burn-your-hand hot. And our Pro 7 and Pro 7+ charging ports continue to work, one year later and no issues in sight. Something just does add up here that does not pass basic sniff tests.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
    daddyfish, Bronsky, dellaster and 3 others like this.
  8. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I've seen this same behavior in the M3 when plugged in. It runs a bit hotter. Mine goes from 46C to 56C when plugged in. HW Monitor is your friend.

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  9. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

, nasty, any update on this?
    ps: probably useless suggestion for you but have you tried holding the power button long enough for a hard reset? (I remember I needed to do this for my Pro 1 two or three times)

10. excalibur1814

Yeah, I did all of the usual things. Simply wouldn't boot and switched off each time after the logo. I logged into my account, created the case and the replacement is on the way. Will now sell and drop back to a Pro 7. Hopefully a 1Tb Pro 7+ will fetch a nice price.