Surface Pro 7+ Discussion Thread (January 2021)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by sonichedgehog360, Jan 11, 2021.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Well, its now gone to greying out the order button on the SP 7+ order page...

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  2. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Does their TCO analysis also factor the total cost to the environment though? For example, having a perfectly functioning device replaced because of a sealed degraded battery is incredibly wasteful. K-12 devices tend to run longer cycles like 10 years, so this situation will definitely occur, multiple times even.

Not to mention the educational benefits of students learning through self-service / diagnosis of their own modular devices. Speaking from my own experience as an EE, that is 100% why I got into technology, by doing simple component swaps on PCs. If you had presented me with a sealed, unalterable device, would I still be interested to learn its workings?

I just find the argument that throwaway devices are somehow more sustainable and better suited for education to be dubious...

daddyfish likes this.
  3. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

@Marty you are likely having the wrong argument. Apple started it, but all of the major vendors that sell in to education also have as part of the contract recycling and or disposal service.

I'm not going to wade too far in to the discussions around them, but there are arguments being made that planned services around recycling and disposal services are a net benefit compared to the arbitrary and widely varying policies that vary by state and even municipality.

I also suspect that this argument will be coming more and more to the general business sector soon (again led by Apple)

4. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

That's still kind of skirting the question though...would it be better to send in a single battery for recycling, or the entire device?

The companies want to standardize the recycling at the device level (taking it out of the municipality's hands as you indicated), arguing that the logistics of component level servicing is too costly.

That's fine, if the companies want to bear the entire cost of that vendor-specific recycling program themselves. But how much are you willing to bet that those same companies won't turn around and demand tax breaks and ever-increasing service fees for "all the recycling work" they do?

If the public recycling programs are lacking, that's not a sign you should immediately sell the responsibility to corporate—it's a sign we need to improve our recycling programs!

daddyfish and sonichedgehog360 like this.
  5. desertlap

@Marty nope not going to venture in to that swamp, to say it's incredibly complicated and dependent on where you choose to sit is an enormous understatement,

eg. one of the big companies touts how much recycled material they use... but arguably the energy used in recycling which often comes from dirty sources like coal add more pollution than using brand new ....

But by all means feel free to opine away yourself....

daddyfish and sonichedgehog360 like this.
  6. Name_XXX

Name_XXX Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi! I had an overheating issue wuth all of SP7 i5 (fanless) that I bought: they charged extremely slow while being in use (4 hours or so even if CPU is used minimally), and not above ~75%. It was probably related to overheating. It seems also that many other users of SP7 i5 faced this problem. Now, I am deciding whether buy SP7+ or not. Does anyone know whether this issue is the case for SP7+?

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
  7. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Not sure that's correct, as people usually shout from the hilltops if there's something wrong with Microsoft devices.

I have a SP7+ in front of me. it's perfectly fine. We have two within the company, along with a load of SP5/SP6/SP7 devices. None have charging or overheating issues. We ALWAYS buy authentic chargers/docks.

8. Name_XXX

There are actually a lot of people who faced this problem (see, e.g., this question: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...charging/2fa973b0-0872-4b8d-ad92-4d8045f5214a).

Which Surface Pro 7+ do you have? Is it the i5 version?

9. desertlap

Yes exactly this. We have about a dozen of these in our company and more than 100 in our customer base so far, all without issue.

As to USBC charging generally this has always been hit and miss to some degree from the outset and frankly the "blame" for inconsistent results lies directly at the feet of the accessory makers. For reasons that get quite technical to go in to detail for, the ports on the system almost absolutely have to be compliant both for the range of functions required but also to protect the device.

OTOH almost without fail, with a couple of notable exceptions, the lower price the adapter, the more likely that compatibility is going to be iffy....

The reason being somewhat paradoxically is that with the USBC charging standard there is a handshake where device and adapter are supposed to communicate things like maximum draw available etc, and if the host system (computer, tablet, phone) doesn't get an answer or gets an unexpected one, it defaults back to the lowest common denominator that it did get.

Even there, there has been hiccups as for example some early HP systems in some cases wouldn't charge at all except from HP's own chargers , because HP was one of the first to go "all in" on the proper device negotiation protocols.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
    sonichedgehog360 and daddyfish like this.
  10. Name_XXX

I am among at least ~700 users (which is very frequently), according to the question from Microsoft Answers who faced the overheating problem.