Surface Pro 7+ Discussion Thread (January 2021)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by sonichedgehog360, Jan 11, 2021.

1. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 New forum: bit.ly/newTPCR Senior Member

Just to be doubly sure, after installing Windows via USB, did you then install the Surface Pro 7+ driver package too from the second link I had shared? I am just trying to retrace the path you followed for each and every step you had taken. I actually followed these exact steps myself just recently since I generally do a clean install of my Surface rather than use the stock image, and I have no issues. If it’s got problems after this, it sounds to me at least like you got hit twice by a bad unit. That’s highly unusual, of course, but the odds aren’t exactly as low as lightning striking twice in the same spot, either.

Last edited: May 14, 2021
  2. Variable

Variable Tablet-fan

Yup. Installed the driver package from the website (you need it for some of the functionality including touch screen). (I know what I am doing ...)

The weird part is that when it worked upon arrival, MS' sensor test tool "Sensor Explorer" showed the brightness sensor, plus individual sensors for accelerometer, gyroscope, compass, etc.
    Now I only see Brightness and Orientation Sensor.
    On that basis, I would normally assume that it is a software/driver issue, since I would still expect broken sensors to show (just maybe not report any data or anything).
    This thing acts as if there are NO sensors but the new generic "Orientation Sensor".
    For the second failure there also were no driver or windows updates in the preceding ~3+ days prior to the failure (I checked if there was an obvious update that should maybe be rolled back).

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  3. sonichedgehog360

Now, that's just plain weirdsville. I have no ideas at this point why the device enumeration would be incomplete now. That suggests either (a) a severe incompatibility with your unique software configuration or (b) catastrophic hardware failure. Could you be disabling Modern Standby when you enable hibernation? That may be it. On the off chance, what power adapter are you using with your Surface? Many third-party power adapters can kill or damage devices, and there are particularly dangerous ones sold on Amazon that should be outright banned. Even under the "official" listings, third parties have been caught selling knock-offs so you have to be vigilant. Outside of those two ideas, I am not immediately thinking of anything now but someone else here might chime in and notice something we two haven't. It might be helpful too if you send us a screenshot(s) of device manager which might also give us some clues. If you haven't already, you might also consider posting this on r/Surface to try getting some other minds noodling over this.

Last edited: May 14, 2021
    excalibur1814 likes this.
  4. Variable

Variable Tablet-fan

I know it is super weird: why do the sensors not show, even if they failed?

1. If it is a software incompatibility then MS has a real problem on their hands. Using the same software as on my previous Surface Go (I had only used Office 365, Keepass, Syncthing, Zoom, GIMP, 7zip, SonicWall Mobile Connect, ... I had also installed but not even run Steam, VLC, Firefox, Brave).
    2. Never had issues with Modern Standby/Hibernation messing things up with any of my prior Surface devices. Shouldn't/wouldn't a factory reset fix that.
    3. I am mostly using USB-C charging but with the same charger that I used for my phone and Surface Go for 2 years.

I will try r/surface
    May as well continue spreading the bad word of mouth since MS continues to treat me like dirt. Just got told that I can get a New replacement (without resetting the original 60 day return window), or I can wait for the device to go back into stock to order a new one and reset the window. Sounds like a friendly FU to customers: "I am sorry but those are the only options available to me." (Of course, also no lenience about the CC hold or effectively paying for 2 devices despite this being MS' fault.)

5. Variable

Variable Tablet-fan

Posted on Reddit and seems like that I am not alone with my issues.

Also sounds like someone has flickergate on the Pro 7+

daddyfish likes this.
  6. sonichedgehog360

Wishing you the best.

Switching gears, has anyone else noticed how Intel is now pushing boost clocks well above spec? I have been consistently seeing >5.0 GHz boost clocks on my i7 Surface Pro 7+. If HWiNFO is accurate, this is really nice!

upload_2021-5-17_13-14-0.png

excalibur1814 likes this.
  7. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

What the heck is going on - only ONE of eleven SKU's (8gb/256gb) is available, EVERYTHING else is out of stock. Is chip shortage this extreme, or demand that high?

8. Variable

Variable Tablet-fan

Or maybe MS realized that there were some quality issues with this model.
    I know what I am doing and these two had hardware failures happen within days of being bought. That is not normal.

I just bought a Lenovo x12 as a replacement.
    The screen is less hi-res (but still great) and it is actively cooled, but you get a big bump in specs for the same price.
    Lenovo is shipping stuff earlier than what they say on the website, so it's definitely not some chip shortage issue.

9. sonichedgehog360

Well, my parents' orders of the Pro 7+ have been pending since April 16th with ETAs initially in May, then June, and more recently pushed back all the way into July. So there's that. While there could have been some QC/QA issues, I have yet to see high occurrences of issues with the Pro 7+. I am thinking Microsoft is prioritizing volume purchases over smaller orders. I believe @desertlap has emphasized here several times the very high interest from Microsoft's corporate clientele in having user accessible SSD. I also recall reading about how being able to remove and destroy the drives is largely preferred over having to destroy an entire device for their customers in government , healthcare, and other sectors working with sensitive information.

10. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

, I can imagine, having to destroy the entire device is such a waste

sonichedgehog360 likes this.