Surface Pro 7+ Discussion Thread (January 2021)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by sonichedgehog360, Jan 11, 2021.

1. Wiz

Wiz Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes but it's almost inaudible. I really have to put my ear directly to the casing to hear it at all.

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk

2. Variable

Variable Tablet-fan

Second Surface Pro 7+ ... Second failed orientation sensor.
    WTF?

3. Variable

Variable Tablet-fan

Looks like there was a reason why the Pro 7+ was not released widely as the Pro 8.
    Quality control issues: I now have a second device with screen orientation sensor problems (and all other sensors have failed too... incl accelerometer, etc)

4. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Very unfortunate and unlucky for you, but in our customer base at least so far (it is early) the failure and DOA rate is actually slightly better with the 7 + compared to the standard 7

Likely that's due as much as anything to tweaked manufacturing processes, learned from the standard Pro 7

And FWIW, the Go 2 , The Surface Laptop Go ,and the Pro X have exceptionally low DOA and early failure rates.

5. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I tend to agree with @desertlap - all of my Surface adventures have been user failure, not hardware. I will admit we're replacing my wife's original Surface Book this week for a battery swelling issue, but the thing has been in use since fall of 2015 and almost never leaves the power plug.

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  6. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 New forum: bit.ly/newTPCR Senior Member

Same here. To be clear, I am not downplaying your device failure. It is an unfortunate reality of an imperfect world that is striving for perfection. Surfacegate with the Surface Pro 4 is a well-documented issue after all. And my Surface Pro 7 came with a minor blacklight bleed and pixel discoloration issue which I only recently got around to getting swapped after I got my Pro 7+. Nonetheless, I have had the least hardware issues with my Surfaces than most other devices. You still get anywhere from ~1% to >10% failure rates with most consumer electronics these days (see example below of video game consoles) with the best-made devices sitting on the lower end of that spectrum. Even commercial aircraft, which are held to stringent quality standards orders of magnitude better than consumer products, have a crash happen on the order of a couple out of every 100,000s or 1,000,000s of flights, thankfully (for us!) working out to an infinitesimal fraction of 1%. Point being, absolutely perfect 0% defect and failure rates is not going to happen, but the very best companies will get very, very close to it.

upload_2021-5-13_10-17-13.png

Last edited: May 13, 2021
    Steve S likes this.
  7. Variable

Variable Tablet-fan

If it is a software issue then I would love to know what it could be since I just factory reset the device and support tells me that it is a hardware failure if that doesn't fix it.

8. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 New forum: bit.ly/newTPCR Senior Member

Here you go. You could always try doing a fresh install of Windows 10 from a thumb drive and then applying the latest driver and firmware package from here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=102633

Let me know how this goes. Maybe you're just having especially bad luck? I know the Pro 7+ has been getting very wide circulation among businesses and has been a big hit. So on the one hand, it would be highly irregular that you would get hit twice with a bad device. Though, on the other hand, it wouldn't be the first time someone got double whammied. Keep us posted! Glad to help! :)

Last edited: May 13, 2021
  9. Variable

Variable Tablet-fan

Thanks but it was my understanding that the "factory reset" using a cloud download from MS would be effectively a hard reset to a clean install with the proper drivers installed.
    Maybe I will try what you are suggesting.
    The only unusual thing I may be doing is that I enable hibernation, since I may not use the Surface for a couple of hours at a time and I found that this setting really saves battery life and health long term.
    (On the latest machine I never even got around to using it except for some surfing the web)

Otherwise, this machine has been limited to Edge, Office365, GIMP, Syncthing, Keepass usage (plus I installed 7zip, VLC and Steam but didn't even use them yet).
    Take that for anyone thinking that I am doing anything unusual.

10. Variable

Variable Tablet-fan

Clean install from USB. No dice.
    It acts as if there is no sensors.

Doesn't give the option to enable auto rotate in notification, unless I add sensorpresent = 1 in regedit.
    Doing that still does nothing.