Surface Pro 6 - What does "Heavily Redesigned" Mean

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Jun 18, 2018.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Well, now that we have another year to speculate about the "heavily redesigned" comment by a Microsoftee to Mary Jo Foley, LET'S SPECULATE!
    1. Thinner and lighter (say 10-15%)
    2. 13" screen in same body with 4k support
    3. 2 USB-C with TB3 support, with a TB3 to Surface Dock dongle option
    4. 8th gen Intel, with the AMD GPU option for the i7 - NO CANNON LAKE
    5. Both a Type and a Touch Cover Option (not in the box)
    6. "New and improved" but not really any better Surface Pen, also still an option
    7. TB3 dock option
    8. 4g LTE available as option for all Surface Pro's
    9. Smartframe support for the new 13" screen, for those who like bezels

2. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@dstrauss, that sounds more like a wish list than a speculation. Not that there's anything wrong with that. ;)

I'd say they're pretty sure to get rid of the surface connector and go USB-C, and for Microsoft that alone might count as a "heavy redesign". :rolleyes:

3. bloodycape

bloodycape Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

New color, a bezel that is a bit thinner to allow a slightly larger display(12.4"?), & new keyboard fabric. It will looks similar, but the new color, which will be a matte black or a darker silver/grey color will be the telltale sign it's redesigned.

dstrauss likes this.
  4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

You saw right through that didn't you - :( - OK - here's the real list:
    1. Only 0.30" thick
    2. One USB-C TB3 and the Surface Connector
    3. Some Intel processor variant with built-in TB3 support (to allow item 1)
    4. A huge 12.5" screen
    5. "New and improved" but not really any better Surface Pen, also still an option

nnthemperor likes this.
  5. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

6. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Ok let me place my bets.

First, the Surface connector ain't going anywhere. Like the Start button, it's become a sacred cow that's going to define the entire Surface peripheral line. (Just thank the digital gods it's not hopelessly gimped like the Lightning port. :p)

To build off our earlier "dear MS" thread, the "heavy redesign" will be more options for type covers, but they won't give us full interoperability with Surface Book keyboard/gpu docks (probably ever :(). They will create a Surface Laptop-like hardshell cover that may provide a little more juice.

There will be a USB-C port with no TB3 (but a TB3 adapter will be "in the works") and LTE options out the gate this time, but they are sticking with Intel 8th-gen processors, as that's all they could realistically develop for given Intel constantly changing roadmap. And no changes to the pen, but they'll iron out the infamous pen jumpiness (but not admit it was a hardware fault originally).

So overall just a basic refresh, with expanded peripheral options being the main selling ticket. Nothing to write home about...but rumor has it that the Studio is bound for a revision soon. Now that speculation thread might get interesting.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
    sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  7. soh5

soh5 Surface or Bust Senior Member

I have nothing to add to dales wishlist, but I am choking on my coffee this fine saturday morning. :thumbsup:

dstrauss likes this.
  8. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

if Microsoft REALLY want to blow everything out of the water it should do something really crazy...

A 5k screen.

Why? For no reason at all. just do it. People love numbers even if they don't make sense.

9. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

I keep meaning to post to this thread, but I always get distracted.

Well, not this time!

I don't think this has much to do with new features or exotic new Surface Pro form factors. Instead, I think it has everything to do with fixing some of the obvious problems that have plagued Surface Pro over the last few years and trying to fix Consumer Reports' "not recommended" rating. If you think about for the moment, fixing the flickering screen and the two-year breakage rate, getting the pen to work better, minimizing throttling (while at the same time increasing computational performance)… any one of these might be fixable with an engineering band-aide, but fixing all of them requires rethinking many or all aspects of Surface Pro's internal arrangement and construction; that is, a heavy redesign.

No matter how good Surface Pro is, CR's negative rating is hurting Microsoft and Panos needs to fix that. So I think that's what Microsoft is doing. And I think they chose this time to do it because they have to wait for Intel and AMD to fix their Spectre vulnerabilities anyway. So rather than just sit around and twiddle their thumbs, why not take this time to really make the SP6 a much more durable and reliable device?

That's what I think is happening...

10. Starlight5

Starlight5 So what if I'm crazy? The best people are.

Finally!!!