Surface Pro 6 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by excalibur1814, Oct 9, 2018.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Go ahead, make my day...

I feel the sudden need for a new avatar...

2. instred

instred Pen Pal - Newbie

I know that is why I said the new one. Ryzen in my wife's HP Envy and she love it.
    That is at 15w I think they could do wonders with TSMC 7nm process. Plus it would be nice to have some competition in this Windows 2n1-tablet space and not be reliant on Intel.
    Time will tell.

lovelaptops likes this.
  3. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Time will tell...>>

Indeed. I guess I've been assuming all along that MSFT would have an AMD option in the next-gen Surface Pro. I was reading a somewhat dated article about what the Pro 7 might look like, and one of the points that the writer made was that the Pro's form factor looks pretty optimized by this time and he couldn't see much reason why MSFT would change it. Which implied that, in order to stay "fresh," the Pro internals would need to change... which is precisely what MSFT has been doing since the Surface Pro 3. So, new and different processor (Intel vs. AMD), OLED screen, USB-C, thinner bezels and significant improvements in the pen as well as the type cover were all speculations. Interestingly, discrete graphics wasn't mentioned (but I wasn't surprised; when you see what effect the M620 has on ZBook X2 battery life, discrete graphics looks like a step too far given the volume that MSFT has to work with...).

Anyway, I'm not expecting much in the way of valid Surface Pro 7 teasers until we get much closer to the late summer / early fall.

4. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I would fall off my chair if the SP7 featured anything from AMD.

Would also be nice if MS offered a great big gpu enclosure to replace the dock.

dstrauss and desertlap like this.
  5. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That last is quite possible according to rumors we are hearing that the next pro will support TB3

6. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

You mean it's not going to be 5mm thick with four USB-C/Thunderbolt ports, 32gb RAM, 2tb SSD
    Now THAT would be an upgrade worth waiting for - I refuse to even think MS will skip TB3 in the next Surface Pro. That would be business suicide at this point.

JoeS likes this.
  7. Seel

Seel Pen Pal - Newbie

Ryzen is actually very competetive if not better than Intel in terms of power. Except for idle power consumption, which is a big one for mobile.

8. desertlap

So you hit the nail on the head. You are correct that under load ryzen is superior to intel. The problem is that most computers spend 75% plus of their time idle waiting for user input and that's where Ryzen falls down.

9. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

It has been AMD's Achillies heel forever.

desertlap likes this.
  10. desertlap

Supposedly one of their product lines (Athalon possibly) was code named Achilles. An astute marketing person probably got them to change it.

lovelaptops and Bronsky like this.